Make-Your-Own mixes

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Its getting expensive buying those just add water pancake mixes in a jug for camping.

EweSheep

I just buy the store brand "add water" only mix....alot cheaper. Then I bag what I need to make pancakes. You can add jams or whatever to change the taste of course.

I googled "dry mixes" and all at some point say to add eggs etc. to the mix. Havent found one without yet????

the one in the jug is alot more expensive, heck we can create our own jug, but I add water to the bag and just mush it up and voila, pancakes..LOL

hope that helped a little for you.

I am a camper.....Love it!!!

Karen
We are campers to. I also use ziplock baggies for pancake mixes, add water and mush. I have all of my spices in the little baggies labled and stored in a bowl. I measure enough coffee for 1 pot and put it in a ziplock bag, 3 days of camping = 3 bags. it takes up a lot less space.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I usually make several batches of the pancake mix and store in the freezer. I also store powdered whole eggs to use in this recipe if I do not have access to eggs. Instead of using 10 cups all-purpose flour, I mix 5 cups whole wheat flour and 5 cups all-purpose. I also started making my own syrup because the syrup that I was buying went up to $12.00 a bottle. I sometimes add a ripe banana and walnuts when I make the pancakes.

Homemade Pancake Mix

10 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup baking power
2 tbsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together to blend well. Put in a large airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place.. Makes about 13 cups of pancake mix. This mix works for both waffles and pancakes.

TO MAKE PANCAKES:
2 c. homemade pancake mix
1 c. water
1 egg or powdered egg equivalent
2 tbsp. oil (waffles - 3 tbsp.)

Beat smooth with a wire whisk or fork. This makes eight (4 inch) pancakes or four large waffles.

Homemade Syrup

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
teaspoon maple flavoring or extract

Combine granulated and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add salt and water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add maple flavoring or extract. Cool and serve. Note: Use any combination of granulated and/or brown sugar as long as it is two parts sugar to one part water.

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
These are great recipes, and I'm so happy to find a good recipe for homemade pancake syrup, Heidi. I'd like to be able to buy only pure maple syrup, but sometimes the cost is prohibitive.
I'm trying like the dickens to stay away from products that contain high fructose corn syrup, and most syrups have them. HF corn syrup is a sneaky demon - it's in everything!

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hensdeliverthegoods said:
These are great recipes, and I'm so happy to find a good recipe for homemade pancake syrup, Heidi. I'd like to be able to buy only pure maple syrup, but sometimes the cost is prohibitive.
I'm trying like the dickens to stay away from products that contain high fructose corn syrup, and most syrups have them. HF corn syrup is a sneaky demon - it's in everything!
This isn't exactly a recipe but it works when you run out of regular syrup. Pop a couple Tablespoons of your favorite jam in the microwave fro 10-25 seconds, thin with a little water and pour over the pancakes. It is actually very good and little kids love flavored syrup.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I know this one has been asked for before, but I have to ask...anyone got a recipe for spaghetti sauce?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I know this one has been asked for before, but I have to ask...anyone got a recipe for spaghetti sauce?
I've never followed a recipe for spaghetti sauce. I just sorta dump stuff in a pot and cook it. lol! There are so many different flavors and consistencies, it really depends on what you like. Sometimes I use Italian or spicey sausage for a meat in it... sometimes I use ground beef. I cook the meat in a pan w/ onions, a little salt 'n pepper and when the pink's almost out I add garlic. (sometimes I add green pepper, just a little for a hint of flavor) At this point I dump it in a crock pot or roaster oven. Though you can continue on the stove if you'd like. I dump in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes until it looks good (my dad uses tomato paste and Prego jarred sauce) and add italian seasonings (rub 'em in your hands before putting in pot to bring out the flavor of them better) Then I cook it and cook it and cook it over a low simmer (stirring as you pass through the kitchen) until it's nice 'n dark in color and thick 'n saucy. Depending when I'm making it for, I may simmer it over night. The sauce always tastes better the next day. I think that's what I put in. I can't remember if there's anything else? When I use spicey sausage, I also add cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes towards the end of cook time. Just enough to get 'em hot. They taste nice 'n sweet 'n juicy w/ the spicey sausage.
I typically do to an electric roasting pan full, and this lasts us 3 mos. (I freeze portions into ziplocs)

Just do a search for spaghetti sauce online. I'm sure you can come up w/ many combinations, something that'll sound intriguing.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx Heather....I've still got plenty of tomatoes from the garden, so I'll see what I can do with that info...much appreciated! :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's a recipe for sauce I made last summer, but I'm always on the lookout for the best sauce imaginable :) Maybe I'm too used to the storebought stuff...

The Tomato Ladys Garden Marinara Saucefreeze extras for pizza sauce, as topping for pasta or base for spaghetti and meatballs.

A colander heaping full of heirloom tomatoes (assorted varieties make the best sauce)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 handfuls fresh mixed basil, parsley, oregano and marjoram, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
Several grinds of fresh pepper
Peel and seed the tomatoes. (For easy peeling, cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes, then boil them briefly the skins should slide right off.) In a saut pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the garlic. When the cloves turn a honey brown, remove and discard. Put half of the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse to make small chunks. Add to the oil. Pulse the remaining tomatoes with half the herbs. Add to the pan with salt and pepper. Simmer to the desired consistency, 30 to 40 minutes depending on the tomatoes water content. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining herbs. Enjoy. The sauce can be frozen for future use. Serves 8 to 10.