Making Fruit Liqueurs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MsPony said:
So when I want to make rasberry chocolate cake I just add the aged liquid to the cake?

Yum. So excited.
Don't confuse this recipe with an extract....to make an extract with raspberries (never done it, so maybe someone else with experience will correct this) I'd want to make it stronger and not sweetened, so a straight alcohol, no water, and pack those berries in the jar and crush them a bit. Or maybe they should be dried first so the juice doesn't water it down, and the taste is extra strong?

I'd just make a chocolate black bean cake, and pour some liqueur over it when serving..... :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just made Native Plum Liqueur.

1.25 lbs small local plums, cut into eighths and pitted
1 c sugar
3 c vodka

It is already a lovely shade of pink!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MsPony said:
That makes sense :)

Isn't liqeur alcoholic though?
Um....yes....as are extracts. Extracts are usually used as flavorings in cooking and the alcohol burns off. Liqueurs are meant for drinking. So don't soak your chocolate cake in it after baking if you are serving it to minors!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have a bunch of zest in a bag in the freezer. I keep forgetting to buy vodka:p
How can you "forget" vodka???

Free, thanks for sharing. I make a version of this, but w/o the sugar. (Can't do sugar.) I love my granny-smith apple infused vodka the best. (I usually add it to a glass of ice, a twist if lime and a bit of tonic water.)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Looks like I have to save up my egg money again, so I can buy me some more vodka.
That all sounds soo good.

BTW my grandma used the chokecherries to make this also, it is verrry good!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
A use for chokecherries! And I no longer have access to them!! :barnie I do have tiny black cherries, but the trees are so tall....I will see if I can collect enough to make a reasonable batch...thanks for the idea!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I used to eat them fresh, but grandma just couldn't let them go to waste. So she used them for vodka liqueur. Sometimes she mixed it with raspberries. I do think she added sugar to it. But I only remember picking the cherries and then later drinking the liqueur. It was sweet.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It's not local of course, but I've got a batch of Limoncello "mellowing." I used the recipe out of "Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It." The lemon zest sat in the vodka for two weeks, shaken every day. Then it was strained and simple syrup with added lemon juice was mixed in. It is supposed to mellow for 6 weeks. I'll let you know. We're on week one..... :pop

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Just made Native Plum Liqueur.

1.25 lbs small local plums, cut into eighths and pitted
1 c sugar
3 c vodka

It is already a lovely shade of pink!
And use the basic recipe you gave before? :hide