Many hens few eggs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate Delawares, mean, nasty, evil birds. I like my Easter Eggers, they lay good too. I got a flock of Australorps, but am disappointed in the size of the eggs. The best layers are sex links. Get new chicks every year, rotate the layers out in the fall of their 2nd year.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My favorite right now in our mixed flock is our New Hampshire Reds. She's quiet and consistently lays very large eggs, and her offspring have done the same. Another favorite here is a partridge rock. Great temperament, consistent layers. Same with the barred rocks. Ours free range, and the ones we like the least are the golden comets. They are small, but eat a LOT compared to the others, especially for their size.

CC, could you have a rat in your coop?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had Golden Comets which are red sex links. They are calm, lay great big brown eggs. Butcher on the 2nd molt. I think I will go back to either red or black sex links in the spring. They are dependable layers.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many? When do you get them? Can I live vicariously through you since I'm not ordering chicks or running the incubator this year? Lol (broody mamas will be encouraged though!)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I believe these are the ones I want Gold Sexlinks same as Golden Comets? What are chickens now PC?
Screenshot_2018-12-31-00-41-04.png

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CC, some of my golden comets. We have 5.
20190101_074947.jpg

The four on the right are golden comets. The camera made the one on the far right look yellow but is actually red and white. Apparently they are a favorite for beginners and with the Amish.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think Im gonna get rid of these lakenvelders. Little bleepers attack my pants when I go feed them. Also, they lay a little white egg. I didnt realize their eggs were so small. Thought they would be at least medium size. Not enough meat on them to make it worth processing them.
Ordered some red sex links, barred hollands, and some jersey giants.