Many hens few eggs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never ordered from them, I've had really good customer service from Murray McMurray. That being said, I'm sold on buying from breeders. I've ordered from multiple hatcheries and nothing compares to my breeder birds. It's much more expensive but I'm so much happier with the birds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree! I got Silver Gray Dorkings from a breeder that were absolutely gorgeous...from the hatchery (Ideal)nice but not the same quality. Same thing with my black Orps. I bought a show quality rooster from a lady that was absolutely stunning. Crossed him with my hatchery birds nd could see the improvement in generation.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I let them out to roam and forage the property. My wife complained because her Rottweiler, pulls her around like a little girl wanting to chase chickens (even with the pinch collar on). What's a guy to do??? Well let's just say chickens gate is locked again.

Make love, not war - that's my motto.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I must confess I keep chickens for fun, not eggs. Whatever eggs I get I give away mostly, or DS sells them. I'm going to import hatching eggs from England this year as I couldn't find what I was looking for here (Andalusians and specific strains of OEG)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine roost in the barn where the light is on 24/7. Unfortunately they have taken to laying in the loft area and I'm not going up there! How do I know since I don't go up there? Cuz, one day I walked into the barn and it was raining eggs, lol!

I put fresh hay into the nest boxes in hopes it will entice them back.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why is it: When I'm putting fresh hay in the nest boxes, I have an instant crew of feathered friends "trying to help"? Today, I used up the last of a bale of hay, and ended stuffing it on top of and around a hand full of helpers b/c they would not get out of the way.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well your girls ARE nicer than mine!I have a couple that will NOT lay that egg except "their" spot. One likes to get on top of the hay bale I have opened, under the cover. Moved it one day, no egg. Next day, she left it in the yard :( almost stepped on it. Put another bale on the pallet, covered & she went back to the bale for her nest. :he I have to gently lift the cover in case she's in there -- otherwise, not sure who gets scared the most. Mostly I have like 3 hens use one oddball nest, then 3 at another, so that's ok...then there's miss solo. These nests are far apart, then they all go roost together :idunno

MAYBE -- yours just wanted some redeco in the nests :lol:

Chickens can be funny birds. :old