March this year

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel --stupid things like batteries and aluminum foil and a few of those things I never use much and don't buy much.

I think all those items that I do not stock I will start finding sales on them and start to supply up a bit on those.

things like TP and sugar and olive oil, etc. I have tons in the house :)
along with my usual pantry foods. This season I am giong to put up more canning/preserving also from this harvest.
I think food prices thru this coming next winter will be high and I have no intention of paying for that. Apples too. We love apples and I will can alot more of fruits this year and freeze also.

we camp so we have alot of lanterns. 1/2 won't light. batteries--- I have lots of mag lights, again batteries lol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'm a little weary as well, we watched National News tonight and boy do we have another mess brewing......but hopefully we will be setup good by the fall with a cow, and the garden SHOULD be good this year........ all we can do is pray......or whatever you may do

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Praying is good, BB. :) Granny always said if yer gonna pray, then don't worry and if yer gonna worry, then don't bother to pray! :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Praying is good, BB. :) Granny always said if yer gonna pray, then don't worry and if yer gonna worry, then don't bother to pray! :D
Good saying there.....I may be paranoid but I feel like I am being prepared by something else....

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This makes me real anxious as we aren't in a position where we can be prepared... we're doing lots better than we were, but we're so limited on this property and with little time and energy to boot is it TOUGH.
Bee, I hope you have some room cause if SHTF we're gonna need a place to go! I promise we learn real fast and work hard! (And I swear, hell or high water that crazy horse beast is gonna come with us... he'll be useful somehow...)

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Found two financial/budgetary things happening in March: on March 8 the state of California will be broke again unless they find about $3b, and March 20th is the deadline for Greece achieving at least an illusion of fecal coagulation (the cynic in me observes it's only been an illusion for both for the past two years minimum).

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Barring the idea of Iran losing it's mind (admittedly possible but not probable) or a major hit the national grain crop futures market, I don't think there's any real substantial economic threat looming on the horizon that would result in an 'epic' financial implosion. There may be some nasty bruising as smaller markets flux, but there's no 'bubble' waiting to burst domestically speaking.

Across the sea, is,well... across the sea. The Euro is going to drop further, but unless Germany begins to indicate any sort of loss of faith in it, I believe it can and will improve though with a rather protracted recovery, perhaps even over the end of the decade. As our own economy begins to grow it will backbone the Euro, while transversely our own markets don't stand to lose as much from their down-trending as some the more excitable pundits may believe or have us believe.

But then, I've been wrong before. Don't time your biscuits by my watch. :lol:

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't see anything specific to worry about for March. I suppose that you never know, though... I don't tend to try to prepare for predictions because there is always someone predicting doom and gloom. Instead, I try to be generally prepared and not dwell in fear on a day to day basis. That being said, I have been stocking a bit more lately because I had allowed our pantry to dwindle a bit more than is prudent.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TheMartianChick said:
I have been stocking a bit more lately because I had allowed our pantry to dwindle a bit more than is prudent.
Same here, due to lack of good stock-up loss-leader sales over the winter. :( I'm hoping the brand new grocery chain opening this past week will spur some great competing sales ... I can always dream, right?