March this year

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is some speculation that the world will decide soon to get off the US dollar standard (due to our debit to GDP ratio) and replace it with a basket of currencies. This will have a major impact on our standard of living.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
For sure I wouldn't know...I missed the whole 2008 scare! :p Didn't even know anything had changed in the economy or the world except some stock market crapola that doesn't apply to the poor folk. I generally just keep putting along in my groove and don't pay such things any mind.... :)
This. ^

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
newmochick said:
There is some speculation that the world will decide soon to get off the US dollar standard (due to our debit to GDP ratio) and replace it with a basket of currencies. This will have a major impact on our standard of living.
yea this is what I hear also.
hyperinflation is on its way I truly believe. not sure what is going to happen in all, but I do believe something is looming. There is too much happening, for 'not' something major to happen :lol:

I am getting my home and finances in order definitely. again, not going crazy but I am also going to be prepared a bit.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't heard a thing, but like DH says, I live under a rock. Well, only one month away. I'm doing pretty good, but not great. Got a lot more on my side now than in 1999 though. Hmmm. I've heard things like this b4, but one day, I think it'll be real and no one will know what hit them. We'll see.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
Beekissed said:
For sure I wouldn't know...I missed the whole 2008 scare! :p Didn't even know anything had changed in the economy or the world except some stock market crapola that doesn't apply to the poor folk. I generally just keep putting along in my groove and don't pay such things any mind.... :)
This. ^
Who said the quote in your signature, Luvinlife? I like it!

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
snapshot said:
luvinlife offthegrid said:
Beekissed said:
This. ^
Who said the quote in your signature, Luvinlife? I like it!
I read it in a book about the adirondacks. It's an american transcendentalist, not sure if it's Thoreau or Emerson- but it's one of those two. The quote speaks to my soul.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I looked through Thoreau's quotes and did not see it. Probably Emerson. Thanks!!!! I did find this one from Thoreau

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the unniverse will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.'

Also this is a wonderful quote from HD

"An early-morning walk is a bessing for the whole day."

Sorry for the thread drift!

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
newmochick said:
yea this is what I hear also.
hyperinflation is on its way I truly believe. not sure what is going to happen in all, but I do believe something is looming. There is too much happening, for 'not' something major to happen :lol:

I am getting my home and finances in order definitely. again, not going crazy but I am also going to be prepared a bit.
I guess I am not worried that me Or my family is going to be hit very hard. We own the house, have one car payment, have decent savings, etc. In addition, The reactions to the different scenarios really depends on what one is envisioning as the "something bad". I'm not saying another great depression will be a good thing, it would be terrible, but I don't think it's going to come to that. But again, I understand that some would want to prepare. I am also preparing a little, but I am not doing major stocking up for economic apocalypse. We'll see what happens.

Edit-I just did some re-reading from the beginning of the post.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I take a more simple approach. If you feel you are able to handle a problem, you don't have to worry about one happening. The simpler you live, the easier it is to feel "prepared" and thus you don't care about catastrophe or whatever all that much.

One of our posters made a statement his grandmother taught, "if you pray, don't worry. if you want to worry, don't bother to pray!"
The corollary to this is "G*d helps those who help themselves". I tend to stick with that approach and recommend it to everyone. Either way, self-confidence is the key. Self-sufficiency is the key to self-confidence for most of us; which is why we are here, right?
Not a sermon, just a thought.
Tim sends
//BT//

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I take a more simple approach. If you feel you are able to handle a problem, you don't have to worry about one happening. The simpler you live, the easier it is to feel "prepared" and thus you don't care about catastrophe or whatever all that much.

One of our posters made a statement his grandmother taught, "if you pray, don't worry. if you want to worry, don't bother to pray!"
The corollary to this is "G*d helps those who help themselves". I tend to stick with that approach and recommend it to everyone. Either way, self-confidence is the key. Self-sufficiency is the key to self-confidence for most of us; which is why we are here, right?
Not a sermon, just a thought.
Tim sends
//BT//
Actually, what that means is that God provides in hours of need and the confidence in that, the faith in that, is sufficient for me and for those who regularly pray to God for their needs, worries, etc. Benjamin Franklin, I believe, was the one who coined the phrase that God helps those who helps themselves, but it isn't entirely true. God helps those who call out to Him in love and faith. He sees the sparrow when it falls, how much more does He care and plan for me?

God wants us to depend on Him and not our own devises, plans or workings. This doesn't mean one can just sit on their nether regions and wait for blessings to flow in regards to food and life preparation. God also indicates that" if you don't work, you don't eat." "Work with your hands and wait upon the Lord." "Consider the ant and the grasshopper".

Many passages in the Scriptures show that someone who works, prepares and does not stay idle live more easily...it also says "sufficient to the day is the evil therein"~meaning these dooms day predictions, worrying and stressing...it's all worthless. Each day brings it's own troubles and we aren't really to worry about the future, God has it under control.

It also says that the lilies of the field neither toil nor sow but they have garments more glorious than a king because the Lord sees to their needs...so more working, more worry, more stress over having enough, doing enough, storing enough are not to take up our minds that can better be spent on God's work and plan. Actually, it states in many places that God gives plenty to some merely so they can share with those who have nothing...if I accumulate at all it is with this in mind and not my own welfare. I believe the general consensus in regards to the Bible is, if you have food, shelter and clothing it is all you really need~ anything extra is to be shared with those who have none.

Not quite the "I've got mine and all you zombies can go fly a kite!" mentality that I've seen often on here and not real popular with the secular crowd...but it is what I live by. So far, God has seen me through many bad days and times that all my own efforts and strivings didn't change.

As for why we are here...well, I have my own thoughts on that as well. ;)

Now, that's my sermon for the day! I'm ready for the veggies and the rotten eggs to be thrown.... :frow