March this year

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I sure agree....be prepared as you kinda can be and let the chips fall where they may because it isn't happening to just 'one person, us' lol, it is going to be country wide troubles. So many are going to feel some hurt coming. but heck, it comes it comes. I sure can't stop it :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it was time anyway to buy some seeds and get the garden going and I firmly believe in a full pantry anyway, but I made a recent order for heritage seeds and today I loaded down the pantry with canned goods and dried goods. MIL was with me....I advised her what had been on the news, etc...."I'm not worried about it. I'll worry when it happens." Guess I'll just have to stock extra and keep my mouth shut.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay guys...its here and I've been working my butt off. I think hard times are coming; just not sure how it will get here or in what form....or exactly when (but really its slowly trickling in with everything going up).
Hope a lot of you have been as busy as me. I am trying to put something in the ground everyday.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree Rhonda
I know harder times are coming for most. It is not a band aid fix at all on this economy. nothing short of a miracle will keep us from a big fall I believe.
but one does what they can to try to combat it, if they want. I am doing the usual stocking but not going crazy. I have some 'prepper' supplies like my new water filtration system I bought for survival. In the closet. Will I ever use it? I don't know but for under $80 it is worth having it in the house. I told hubby to resupply his ammo NOW. he used alot and we are low. I want ammo in the house. Will I use it on people? probably never which is a good thing but I want it. Can/preserve etc. foods is never wrong cause we like to eat fresh and avoid the chemical laden foods anyway.

all the preps and good healthy eating and healthy living all adds up to being a person 'who has a chance more to survive' vs. a person who knows nothing of sufficient type living and does nothing to help themselves.

Will any of us be put to the test? Not sure but I can say I am ahead of others. What more can ya do? Not much.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Okay guys...its here and I've been working my butt off. I think hard times are coming; just not sure how it will get here or in what form....or exactly when (but really its slowly trickling in with everything going up).
Hope a lot of you have been as busy as me. I am trying to put something in the ground everyday.
Hi, Rhoda. Maybe there's been comment on the specifics on other threads, but I'm not sure which one(s) to read.

But I'm unclear on which sorts of products are showing a rapid price increase. I'm in western Canada. My wife and I have always grown substantial food gardens, and there is a network of many families in our neighbouhood and general area who raise poultry, fish, meat animals, etc. With foodstuffs that are not raised/processed locally, we buy many of those in bulk. So we tend not to notice price hikes via small-quantity food purchases.

What we have noticed is that gasoline prices are rising back toward the high mark of four years or so ago.

Besides gasoline or diesel, could you tell me some of the items whose prices you've seen rising?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know? I haven't really been hit by the sucky economy. I've been hit by poor planning as far as family and education go (having kids before obtaining a great career), but nothing freakishly scary as far as economy goes. I find that people are still buying soap at $2.50 per bar and candles at $6 per jar, instead of buying $.97/4bars of Ivory and dollar store candles. People are still soaping and purchasing the fragrances and other expensive supplies, people are still hawking the grocery stores, etc. Malls are still in business, $50 pants are still selling, etc, etc. I haven't seen quite as much of a hit as some people say they've been seeing or is coming. I've always been frugal, penny pinching in certain areas and possibly spending more in other areas where I actually want to spend it. Gas does suck, however, but honestly, I guess I haven't seen the super depression that people are speaking of. Yes, I've had hard times, even having minor melt-downs as to how I'm going to get gas in my vehicle, but honestly, I'm a mom of 2 little ones with basically no income... to have an issue with gas is rather kind of expected in my situation. I don't feel like I've lost any quality in my life. I just kind of try to make do with what I've got. Maybe it's simply because I'm used to it though? I'm not used to spending fortunes on silly items. I've always made my hobbies work for me and bring money in instead of just spending it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Basically all food items. Milk is what hit us the hardest, followed by red meats. Milk is from 4.22 to 5.99/gallon here, depending on where you shop. I get mine for 4.99 before tax. Sometimes you can get meat on sale and stock up, but otherwise you really gonna pay big time. I just buy the bare minimum and compensate with vegs and the normal sides. We eat too much meat in this country anyway. But I don't buy more meats than I have to because I kill my own if I can and trade eggs for venison and seafood.
As far as the gas goes, I keep my tank full and try not to go anywhere. If necessary, I can walk to and from work because I live practically on top of my work place. And I hate shopping, so when I do it, I load up so I don't have to go back for a while.
I nearly flipped out when I went to have all my propane bottles filled a few months ago. I paid like double what I was expecting. I really thought it was a mistake and got all excited. I thought they were charging me for buying a new bottle or something, rather than just a refill. It used to cost me $12 to fill one tank.....when they charged me $72 to fill 3 tanks, I was floored.
Gardens are being planted that have been neglected for years.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
store prices are in your face every day. the little 'bumps' that will nail most are coming.

my insurance nailed me. up $25 per week along with deductible increase from $750 per person out of pocket to $1500 out of pocket per person. doesn't seem like alot but it all adds up. My copay was $25, now $40.

property taxes rose on all my lands.

Duke Energy has increased elec. price along with plans to nail us again soon I believe (as soon as the commission lets them)

metal items have jumped like crazy. buy some metal for building/repairing etc. whew

price any tires lately? wow

all of my vehicle taxes etc. have increased

even my renewal of my Drivers License went up by about $10-15, can't remember exact price LOL

All the while jobs are scarce for an income to survive. Not all can change overnight and adopt a simpler living style. It takes time to adjust to changes in living. It would for me that is for sure :) but eventually when the dust settles everyone will know how they stand financially. You might lose your home, hang onto it, laid off, or found a new job??? you just don't know but one thing I do know....ask people out there. Many are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

It is everywhere. These 'little by little' increases are going to kill the middle economy. At some point you will be giving up items you purchase because you can't afford it. already biz are closing cause no one is spending. Not all areas at all. Some have alot of money out there, but the majority of the country is run on the middle man taxpayer who is getting squeezed to the limit. Foreclosures are being held up in courts right now. when that gets settled, it will be interesting to see how many foreclosures hit the stats.

My kiddos Dr. closed his satellite office after being there for 15 years. Patient level was down and costs were up to stay in biz. Sent out a letter saying come to the main office which was a tad far for me so I got her a new Dr.

It isn't in 'everyone's face' just yet but truly it will be in the majority of the people's faces sooner than later.

and while people still buy, I would love to know their true debt load. Sure I can go out and buy $5 or $1,000 items but who knows if that person has cash to pay or are racking up credit card bills on everything? You don't know the fall that will come for anyone without seeing their financials.

It all comes down to just how smart and prepared you are to adapt and change with changing times and to act before it slaps you in the face.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The term "stagflation" comes to mind. Someone else here on SS may have mentioned it, not sure. Anyhow, it means significant inflation (general rise in prices, in relation to our incomes) at the same time that employment is in a slump. This doesn't happen very often. It happened back in the early 1970s.

Here's a brief article about it...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44900450/US_to_Experience_Stagflation_Worse_Than_1970s_Jim_Rogers

Jim Rogers says the US is headed toward stagflation. "Headed toward" because the rise in the consumer-price index has not yet been great enough... but he feels this is where it's going.

Other economists with other interpretations are also cited in the article. Some feel that the slump in the economy will soon result in deflation (falling prices... and those who have money and decent jobs will be able to purchase things & services a bargain rates).

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
You know? I haven't really been hit by the sucky economy. I've been hit by poor planning as far as family and education go (having kids before obtaining a great career), but nothing freakishly scary as far as economy goes. I find that people are still buying soap at $2.50 per bar and candles at $6 per jar, instead of buying $.97/4bars of Ivory and dollar store candles. People are still soaping and purchasing the fragrances and other expensive supplies, people are still hawking the grocery stores, etc. Malls are still in business, $50 pants are still selling, etc, etc. I haven't seen quite as much of a hit as some people say they've been seeing or is coming. I've always been frugal, penny pinching in certain areas and possibly spending more in other areas where I actually want to spend it. Gas does suck, however, but honestly, I guess I haven't seen the super depression that people are speaking of. Yes, I've had hard times, even having minor melt-downs as to how I'm going to get gas in my vehicle, but honestly, I'm a mom of 2 little ones with basically no income... to have an issue with gas is rather kind of expected in my situation. I don't feel like I've lost any quality in my life. I just kind of try to make do with what I've got. Maybe it's simply because I'm used to it though? I'm not used to spending fortunes on silly items. I've always made my hobbies work for me and bring money in instead of just spending it.
Our chicken feed prices have doubled. Hay has doubled. Filled my truck Wed, drove past the gas station Thurs and diesel had jumped 7 cents overnight, glad I topped off the day before. Sugar and cereal have gone up while package weights have gone down. Meat is outrageous. Hamburger is over $3 a lb. Chicken breast are about $4lb, legs and thighs $2lb. I raise my own so I don't buy them but with chicken feed up to 14$ for the cheap stuff its probably not any cheaper to raise my own. Milk has jumped from $2.50 to almost $4. My prescription copays have gone up. Lots of thing left but I don't want to bore you.