May as well start now

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit that I have an addiction to garden seeds and really don't need to order anything this year or next for that matter. The seed company's really know how to entice me with their lovely colored pictures and descriptions. The trouble is I think I need one of almost everything and it really won't hurt to just get a few more right? After all it will really pay off in food yes? I need to have some self control and, wow!! the Ace Hardware has a sale on seeds 10 pks for $1.00 I better hurry over so I can get a good selection. :weee

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am SOOO BAD about those catalogs myself! I earmark about every other page - then DH goes through and 'reminds' me that I've already tried/bought/decided against almost everything I've marked! :lol: Menard's had this years seeds 20 for $1, so I bought $2 worth when we were in town! Lots of flowers and things that I normally wouldn't spend money on, including some hard to find ones around here (like Calendula - I have been looking for those seeds for 2 years! I bought 4 packets!). I can't wait for the white stuff to move on so I can start digging up my yard to plant some pretty stuff!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I would have known about the calendula I have that as well and enough to share. I let mine come up in areas of the vegetable garden just for some more color. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go out and prune the fruit trees. I must have cabin fever because I want to get my hands in the dirt. Potting soil will have to give me my fix for now.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep reading about everybody playing in the dirt in their journals and I'm SO envious! Can't even think about starting seedlings for the cold weather crops until mid March :/ We frequently have snow right up until May here :tongue :lol:

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Same here I just went out and chipped a huge ice flow so when it really starts melting it will run into the parking lot and not grow to the size of a small car. I really want to start planting but its too early and everything will have to be transplanted several times before it can go in the garden. I had to drive to a larger town yesterday to return some items and was in one of the big box stores looking at garden seeds of course. I had one packet in my hand and actually put it back (so not like me) the price was more a deterrent than anything else and now that your have raised the bar SS, with the 20 for $1 I have high expectations for savings in the seed department. :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry about that :hide

By the way, I got a package in the mail today :weee Thank you!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Other Cindi...sorry you're jealous of my dirt playin :cool: :lol:

I have so many seeds....I collect them too. Fortunately I have given a few away this year and have enough just for my garden now :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Same here I just went out and chipped a huge ice flow so when it really starts melting it will run into the parking lot and not grow to the size of a small car. I really want to start planting but its too early and everything will have to be transplanted several times before it can go in the garden. I had to drive to a larger town yesterday to return some items and was in one of the big box stores looking at garden seeds of course. I had one packet in my hand and actually put it back (so not like me) the price was more a deterrent than anything else and now that your have raised the bar SS, with the 20 for $1 I have high expectations for savings in the seed department. :lol:
Very similar around here. We still have a bit of snow on the ground from a few weeks ago, but we are in the midst of a Chinook that is quickly melting everything, and I've also been out chipping ice. Trouble with Chinooks is that it's easy to get "spring fever" and think that winter should be over soon, when really it won't be well and truly over till May, and we can still get snow till June.

I've got all my seeds, ordered them last month, and I've got my garden mostly planned. But I can't start the seeds that I start indoors till around Easter.

So I'll live vicariously through those who are out gardening already. :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Sorry about that :hide

By the way, I got a package in the mail today :weee Thank you!
Wow that was quick, your very welcome. Enjoy!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Corn Woman said:
Very similar around here. We still have a bit of snow on the ground from a few weeks ago, but we are in the midst of a Chinook that is quickly melting everything, and I've also been out chipping ice. Trouble with Chinooks is that it's easy to get "spring fever" and think that winter should be over soon, when really it won't be well and truly over till May, and we can still get snow till June.

I've got all my seeds, ordered them last month, and I've got my garden mostly planned. But I can't start the seeds that I start indoors till around Easter.

So I'll live vicariously through those who are out gardening already. :)
Moolie I'm doing the same. Sounds like we may have a similar growing season. We have had 3 days of warm weather and the ice is melting but by the end of the week we are supposed to get 1 to 3 feet in the mountains. Problem is I live at the base of those mountains and that usually means 12 to 18 inches. I shouldn't complain because the snow pack is the water source for this area and we are very dry here so the more snow the better. My rain barrel was delivered on friday so I'm excited about that. It's 75 gallons, now I will be doing some harvesting of a different kind this year. :clap