May as well start now

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:ep My brain cannot even fathom snow in June....June is for butterflies and bees and flowers in my mind. I mean, I know it exists...way far away from me, but it just doesn't register in my mind :p I am a Southern girl for sure, because that would drive me nuts! :lol: I hope ya'll at least stay warm up there!!! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
:ep My brain cannot even fathom snow in June....June is for butterflies and bees and flowers in my mind. I mean, I know it exists...way far away from me, but it just doesn't register in my mind :p I am a Southern girl for sure, because that would drive me nuts! :lol: I hope ya'll at least stay warm up there!!! :)
Lol, we can (and do) get snow in every month of the year. But outside of November thru March it's usually just a skiff that melts quickly. The bigger issue for us here is the frost hazard, it wreaks havoc on your nerves if you are a gardener--you need to be ready to cover tender plants at any time if the weather forecast is for frost.

But we have plenty of butterflies and bees and flowers from April thru October :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Butterflies and bees yes but also snow in June. And the frost, I find myself looking for everything available to cover the plants with. When the fruit trees were young and I could manage putting a sheet or blanket over them during our spring snow they looked like so many ghosts up on the hillside. My girls loved laughing at me trying to save a half dozen peaches or sweet cherries. But some years I got enough to make a fruit salad for 4. :lol: Seems we gardeners will go the extra mile when something threatens our beloved crops. I have a great supply of canned fruits, vegetables, sauces, jams and the like but something about late winter makes me start craving fresh produce. Maybe its the crisp texture I miss. Some how bananas and oranges are not working for me.

BYW I made the squash cake recipe from Rhoda_Bruce and it's the best. I used a giant Boston Marrow winter squash instead of summer squash, substituted the evaporated milk with organic vanilla soy milk ( lactose issue) and added 1 teaspoon of nutmeg. It turned out beautiful and the taste is excellent. Very custard like. I think this will be a go to cake for family parties. This summer I will be sure to use the huge load of zucchini for this cake and maybe add some lemon zest. :drool After all I can only stuff so many of them in the neighbors unlocked cars.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You lost me at soy sister :lol: I would die, literally if I ate any of that. Thankfully I am not lactose intolerant ;) I still haven't tried it, but I'm gonna real soon :drool I may make one tonight sometime, I am craving cake :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I know soy is about it for a milk replacement and its really no replacement. My dad told me that I never could drink it without getting sick and I would always ask for root beer when the family was having malts. I miss ice cream sometimes and not even the lactose pills help me out with that. I have learned to use the soy in everything that calls for milk but I refuse to use any that is not organic I try my best to stay away from GMO's. All my brothers and sisters became lactose intolerant in their early 40's strange how the digestion of lactose just turned off for us. I don't recommend soy ice cream I think it's nasty :sick When you make the cake WBF I dare you not to eat half of the pan it really is that good. :lol: I had some for breakfast with coffee because vegetables are good for you.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm lactose intolerant and also have issues with soy, so I use rice milk and almond milk as needed--they taste way better too :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Almond sounds good I tried coconut but it turned me off due to the oil slick on the top. I will get some almond next time. Moolie have you ever made the almond milk?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how you can milk almonds. :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Almond sounds good I tried coconut but it turned me off due to the oil slick on the top. I will get some almond next time. Moolie have you ever made the almond milk?
Have you ever tried creamed coconut? It's a solid product that comes in a bag inside a box, I get it from my natural foods store--you just add a few tablespoons to warm water and you get a sort of light coconut milk that is great for cooking, especially Indian and Asian dishes.

Yes, I have tried making almond milk myself, but for the price it's not really worth it. I can get Natur-a brand organic rice or almond milk for a price similar to the cost of regular milk (or less when it is on sale and I stock up).

To make your own, you cover your almonds with water and soak for a couple of days, rinse and drain, then add water and put it in the blender to blend it all together until it is very fine, let stand for about an hour then strain through muslin or several layers of cheesecloth, squeezing out all the goodness. The recipe I used said 1 part almonds to 4 parts water for the blending stage--easy to google for the specifics. When I did it I used the leftover almond meal in baking (a batch of banana bread for the freezer) so as to not waste it.