2 tsp dry mustard
2 T vinegar
2 T lemon juice

In a sauce pan, put:
1 cup water
3 T sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp salt (the recipe says 1 T salt, but that always seems like so much!)

Cook until smooth paste then add hot mixture to mayo and blend well. Make a bit more than a quart.

I usually do just half a recipe at a time. It's still yellow, the color of butter, but in potato salad, who knows? :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
crazy! I made a Miracle Whip clone recipe instead of mayo:

4 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
2 T vinegar
3 cups salad oil

Blend together adding oil slowly. Then add:

2 tsp dry mustard
2 T vinegar
2 T lemon juice

In a sauce pan, put:
1 cup water
3 T sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp salt (the recipe says 1 T salt, but that always seems like so much!)

Cook until smooth paste then add hot mixture to mayo and blend well. Make a bit more than a quart.

I usually do just half a recipe at a time. It's still yellow, the color of butter, but in potato salad, who knows? :D
So, do you think 100 years ago, or whenever the first commercial mayonnaise came on the market, the housewives were wanting to add coloring to it to make it more yellow, more like the *real* mayonnaise they were used to? Kind of like when margarine first came out, and it was dead white :lol: Sorry, my mind tends to wander off on tangents like that :rolleyes:

Interesting sounding recipe, Marianne. And does it taste like Miracle Whip? You know, I don't think I have ever knowingly eaten Miracle Whip, but I understand that many people prefer it to mayonnaise.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am still playing around with oils. The healthiest oils (coconut, lard, bacon grease) do not make for a nice spreadable mayo. Olive oil flavor is too strong. I am thinking some cold pressed nut oil would be good, but they are so expensive. Maybe I am going to have to wait for my chufa crop to come in.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am still playing around with oils. The healthiest oils (coconut, lard, bacon grease) do not make for a nice spreadable mayo. Olive oil flavor is too strong. I am thinking some cold pressed nut oil would be good, but they are so expensive. Maybe I am going to have to wait for my chufa crop to come in.
One of these days I'm going to bite the bullet and get some avocado oil for mayonnaise. I think it should be lovely, but so far I can't make myself spend the money :lol: I use olive oil, but then I like the flavor, and don't find it too strong.

S

sunsaver

What about soybean oil? I made some pretty good tasting mayo with it, and it's one of the healthiest oils.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
What about soybean oil? I made some pretty good tasting mayo with it, and it's one of the healthiest oils.
That is one of the worst oils you can put in your body.
Super processed, and packed with anti nutrients, and hormone depressors/killers.

Off to church, so others will chime in with the science on that :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I stay away from soybean oil (which I believe is marked as vegetable oil in the stores) because of low thyroid issues!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup...soybean oil is total garbage. Same with canola and most vegetable oils.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use olive oil, and I like dijon or garlic in it too... Ours never lasts long enough to worry about the raw egg, but then I usually only make about a cup at a time. I hate any kind of sweetener in my mayo (so Miracle Whip is anathema) and the only unsweetened mayos I ever find are usually made with canola oil :tongue I've started making my own dijon mustard, but I have to make a double or triple batch of that if I want it to last more than a week.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So how do you make the dijon mustard? Or am I hijacking this thread by asking?