Mayo

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made homemade mayonnaise for the first time tonight. Next time I think that I will not put so much lemon juice but other than that... pretty good!

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1 egg room temp.
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper
1 1/4 cup oil
3 T lemon juice or vinegar

Put the egg, mustard, salt and 1/4 oil in blender, slowly add the rest of the oil and lemon juice. You may have to stop and scrap it off the sides of blender. Place in fridge at once.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It seems like it would be runny? What makes it thick like mayonnaise?

S

sunsaver

the emulsion of oil and egg is firmer than either of them by their self. It has something to do with chemistry. My homemade mayo is usually about as firm as the store bought. You need to use the home made pretty quick like a week or less. The store bought mayo has been pasteurized and lasts much longer. I prefer Hellmans real mayo, and only make the homemade when i have to.

S

sunsaver

I dont like spices in mine, just some salt and sugar and i think i used vinegar instead of lemon juice. I've got an antique mayo maker thats hand powered.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made a batch today as well: ! egg yolk, a bit of Dijon mustard (helps the emulsion), Tbls. of lemon juice, a small pinch of salt, and the tip of a knife's worth of cayenne pepper, and as much olive oil as the egg will take up. In the blender I would use a whole egg, but I have taken to just using a whisk, and for that it is better with just the yolk. I follow the instructions in *Nourishing Traditions* and add a Tbls. of whey at the end, and then cover it tightly and leave it on the counter for 7 hours to ferment a bit. Goes against everything we have learned about eggs and room temperature, and I wouldn't do it with any egg less fresh than the ones my girls give me, but I haven't had a problem so far. The author says that the whey and fermentation will help keeep the mayonnaise good for several months, as opposed to only a couple of weeks without whey. But one egg's worth of mayonnaise doesn't last that long in our house, with or without whey ... it disappears within the week ;). (Sometimes I add a crushed clove of garlic to the mayonnaise, and oftentimes chopped herbs). Today's batch will go in the salmon salad that I'll be making for tomorrow's dinner.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
It must have been mayo night. I made some too. :D