4T. + 2t. Sugar
1 3/4 t. Salt
1/4 t. Onion powder
1/4 t. Pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
4 T. + 2 t. Honey,or your favorite sweetener
4T.+ 2 t. Vinegar
2T. + 1 t. Lemon juice

Pour tomato sauce into food processor,blend until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape sides. In mortar and pestle, crush celery seed to a powder; mix with sugar, salt, onion powder, pepper, and cayenne into sauce. Gently boil uncovered, about 25 - 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat when it is as thick as rich spaghetti sauce and able to make loose mounds -it should be just a bit thicker than you want your finished catsup. Cool quickly by immersing pot in sink of cold water while stirring. When sauce is cool, stir in sweetener, vinegar, and lemon juice until blended. Pour into container,store, refrigerated, 4-6 months.

For spicy hot ketchup. : Increase pepper to between 1/8 and 1/4 t. Increase cayenne to 1/16-1/8t. Depending on taste.

I usually add more onion powder and some garlic powder also to both versions.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This reminds me that I need to make more whey.
And I need to try homemade mayo, too.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
savingdogs said:
It seems like it would be runny? What makes it thick like mayonnaise?
The Blender ;)
As long as you add the oil slowly.
Yep it is an oil out emulsion. When you first start the oil is in the form of droplets dispersed in the yolk vinegar mixture. if you add the oil slowly enough more and more fine oil droplets form and the mixture gets thicker and thicker, at that point it is a water out dispersion. as more oil is added the oil droplets make up more and more of the volume until you reach the point where the oil droplets suddenly fuse in together traping the water in extreamly tiny droplets in an oil shell this is an emulsion and it is very stable at room and it is very stiff. most recipies will call for more oil which thins it and makes it smoother. For best storage the extra oil should not be added since the thinned emulsion is more likely to break. The commercial product is made in such a way that air is not beat into the emulsion [hard to do at home] and this fact accounts for the superior shelf life. True the eggs in the commercial product now must be pasturized but that lends little to the shelf life by its self. back in the days before eggs were pasturized the commercial product was superior due to the equipment used to make the emulsion.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Marianne said:
crazy! I made a Miracle Whip clone recipe instead of mayo:

4 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
2 T vinegar
3 cups salad oil

Blend together adding oil slowly. Then add:

2 tsp dry mustard
2 T vinegar
2 T lemon juice

In a sauce pan, put:
1 cup water
3 T sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp salt (the recipe says 1 T salt, but that always seems like so much!)

Cook until smooth paste then add hot mixture to mayo and blend well. Make a bit more than a quart.

I usually do just half a recipe at a time. It's still yellow, the color of butter, but in potato salad, who knows? :D
So, do you think 100 years ago, or whenever the first commercial mayonnaise came on the market, the housewives were wanting to add coloring to it to make it more yellow, more like the *real* mayonnaise they were used to? Kind of like when margarine first came out, and it was dead white :lol: Sorry, my mind tends to wander off on tangents like that :rolleyes:Duh all eggs them had orange yokes chickens were not raised in cages YET and many mayonnaises had even more color added by the use of mustard.~gd

Interesting sounding recipe, Marianne. And does it taste like Miracle Whip? You know, I don't think I have ever knowingly eaten Miracle Whip, but I understand that many people prefer it to mayonnaise.
Oleomargareine was dead white only due to the power of the farm vote The dairy lobby protected the butter market from the cheaper margarine [Have you noticed that real butter is NOT butter yellow anymore looks like a pale choice now.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am still playing around with oils. The healthiest oils (coconut, lard, bacon grease) do not make for a nice spreadable mayo. Olive oil flavor is too strong. I am thinking some cold pressed nut oil would be good, but they are so expensive. Maybe I am going to have to wait for my chufa crop to come in.
Try using pure olive oil [cheapest grade available] rather than virgin or extra virgin. It is what I use for most cooking [ calling for oil] very close to colorless and tasteless. You should know better than to use high melting point materials and expect to get good spreadable results~gd BTW Mayo was probably first made with olive oil.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
wow! thanks! Now all we need is catsup and pickle relish and this thread will have all the condiments! :gig

I'm surprised to see Juniper berries, what an interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing that.
Interesting indeed but nothing like Dijon mustard recipe. I have nine different mustards in my refrig I suppose one more won't hurt.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For me, the problem is that there's just too much of it to use up in time. Maybe I'll try dividing a yolk into 3.... Wouldn't it work if you just used less oil? I made a hollandaise sauce the other day and Julia specified a maximum amount of butter per egg. She also said that a less-experienced cook should not attempt to add butter to the limit, which implies that less is OK. I should do an experiment!