Mayo

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I just made a batch today as well: ! egg yolk, a bit of Dijon mustard (helps the emulsion), Tbls. of lemon juice, a small pinch of salt, and the tip of a knife's worth of cayenne pepper, and as much olive oil as the egg will take up. In the blender I would use a whole egg, but I have taken to just using a whisk, and for that it is better with just the yolk. I follow the instructions in *Nourishing Traditions* and add a Tbls. of whey at the end, and then cover it tightly and leave it on the counter for 7 hours to ferment a bit. Goes against everything we have learned about eggs and room temperature, and I wouldn't do it with any egg less fresh than the ones my girls give me, but I haven't had a problem so far. The author says that the whey and fermentation will help keeep the mayonnaise good for several months, as opposed to only a couple of weeks without whey. But one egg's worth of mayonnaise doesn't last that long in our house, with or without whey ... it disappears within the week ;). (Sometimes I add a crushed clove of garlic to the mayonnaise, and oftentimes chopped herbs). Today's batch will go in the salmon salad that I'll be making for tomorrow's dinner.
I never would have thought of fermenting, because of the egg yolk. I get my eggs from my dairy, so they are healthy :D Free range, bug eating, grain free birdies!

I love Dijon in my mayo and looking forward to the recipe.

"Add the oil SLOWLY" that's why mine was runny!!! I'll correct this on my next batch :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my recipe for dijon mustard-- (I doubled it to make 2 cups)

Ingredients:
3/4 cups hot mustard powder
1/4 cup very cold water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1/4 cup minced shallots
3 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
4 whole juniper berries
2 Tablespoons cold fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
Preparation:
In a bowl stir together mustard powder and water to make a paste. In a saucepan combine vinegar, wine, onion, shallots, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and juniper berries and bring mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer mixture until reduced by two thirds. Strain mixture, cover and chill.

Stir the chilled vinegar reduction into the mustard paste. Add the lemon juice, salt, and sugar and stir to combine. Let mixture stand for at least 20 minutes. Transfer the mustard mixture to a saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a sterile jar and seal tightly, and store on a dark, cool shelf for at least a month or up to 6 weeks, before using.

Mustard will mellow with age. Mustard should be refrigerated once open and will keep for 6 months.

Yield: about 2 cups

When making this, you might want to open a couple windows-- it'll make your eyes water! I understand you can smell the city of Dijon long before you see it :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
wow! thanks! Now all we need is catsup and pickle relish and this thread will have all the condiments! :gig

I'm surprised to see Juniper berries, what an interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing that.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I make my own relish. :D

As for the mayo, I use my food processor
1044_mayo_001.jpg

I pour the oil in this.
1044_mayo_002.jpg

That hole at the bottom dispenses the oil perfectly.
I had to use pics. I don't know what that thing is called.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
must get brave - can make homemade mayo....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
wow! thanks! Now all we need is catsup and pickle relish and this thread will have all the condiments! :gig

I'm surprised to see Juniper berries, what an interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing that.
Homemade Ketchup :

Ingredients

2 cups tomato paste, preferably homemade
1/4 cup raw honey, maple syrup or whole unrefined cane sugar (see sources)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh whey*, divided
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar, plus extra for thinning the ketchup, if desired
1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Homemade Ketchup: Method

Spoon tomato paste into a large mixing bowl and fold in raw honey or other natural sweetener of choice.
Whisk in one-quarter cup fresh whey or vegetable starter culture into the sweetened tomato paste along with apple cider vinegar, sea salt, allspice and cloves. Continue whisking these ingredients together until the paste is smooth and uniform.
Spoon the homemade ketchup into a mason jar, top with remaining two tablespoons fresh whey or vegetable starter culture, cover loosely with a cloth or lid and allow the ketchup to sit at room temperature, undisturbed, for three to five days.
After three to five days, uncover the homemade ketchup and give it a thorough stir before transferring to the refrigerator. Naturally fermented homemade ketchup will keep for several months in the refrigerator.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes Abi, the Miracle Whip clone does taste really close to the purchased stuff.

Your ketchup recipe sounds a lot like the one that I made last year. This year I just kept to the basics and used a Heinz clone recipe that I had found - didn't have allspice or cloves, just onion and garlic powders.

And what is the difference between 'catsup' and 'ketchup'? I have noticed that it seems to be an area thing, some parts of the country spell it 'catsup', etc.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't know how to spell it and my spellchecker liked that spelling is why I chose it!

I need to bookmark this thread!

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We end up with a variety of mayonnaise depending on what they are for. If they will be part of a fruit salad, the oil used will be orange oil and sometimes lime juice instead of lemon. Sometimes wasabi instead of mustard, too, depending on what the final use of the mayo is. Toasted sesame oil is a good flavor although only for a portion of the oil. That one is good with turkey sandwiches. The variations are endless.

The more or less standard mayo construction method around here is:

Put the whip attachment on the KitchenAid mixer. Break an egg into the bowl and add one teaspoon of sugar (I use evaporated cane juice, but honey or even molasses can be used), one half up to one teaspoon salt, a good dash or two of cayenne pepper (about half of a one eighth teaspoon which would be 1/16th teaspoon but I don't think they make that size), a teaspoon of dry mustard powder. Put in one quarter cup of olive oil. Put the mixer on high and let that all whip together. Slowly (a very thin stream or actually fast droplets is good) add in a half cup of oil with less flavor than olive. Peanut oil is one of my faves at the moment. Add three tablespoon fulls of either lemon or lime juice. Then slowly add in one more half cup of light flavored oil.

That's about it, mayo is actually pretty easy to make.