Menus for Frugality

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quiche is a great option for using up a lot of eggs, plus little bits of this & that. Onions, I fry into just about everything -- love onions, garlic. Its healthy for you.
Love quiche - but the diabetic thing rears it's head.... So, we do fritatta's! Basically a crustless quiche - lower carb and you can put anything into it that you'd put in a quiche AND cheaper 'cuz you're not using a crust!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can do quiche without crust. I've used just one sheet of phylo or a couple spoons of flour in the mix. Fritatta same, mainly not as thick.

Crock pots not only use less energy, you can let them slowly cook all day (pretty safely) and not only get your work done but have a meal ready when you do. Hey, anytime we can use "leftovers" we save! Large items, especially expensive meats, should always be used in several dishes/meals. Wow, why not???

NH Homesteader, some vines & young trees can be grown in containers for a couple years with no issues, so long as watered, etc. I've even seen them placed into holes IN the large pots, to allow watering to be more natural. Move them when you do.

Bay, your sheep should keep the orchard fertilized as well as mowed. In a couple years you will have to actually cut the grass.... or get more sheep :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Now the other question is, other than apples, what on earth can survive here? Haha. I get my seeds from Fedco, and they do trees too... I'll have to look into that for spring. Fedco is in Maine so they would know what I can get away with here!

Love my crockpot!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry, south of Houston. Been doing some investigating and it seems like they should do well in the fall.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Now the other question is, other than apples, what on earth can survive here? Haha. I get my seeds from Fedco, and they do trees too... I'll have to look into that for spring. Fedco is in Maine so they would know what I can get away with here!

Love my crockpot!

I wish I had the problem of too many apples! I have an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator......... Why don't you try dehydrating some? dip in lemon juice or spray the slices with lemon juice so they don't turn brown. Applesauce. Applebutter (made with red hots cinnamon candy). Apple juice. Make your own apple cider vinegar, just buy a jar of unfiltered ACV and add to juice. Feed them to ONE pig, then slaughter!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I forgot I wanted to learn to make apple butter this fall....

We do feed the apples to the pigs that are headed to the freezer. And my husband mashes them up and feeds apple mash to the meat birds too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did some salmon croquettes tonight with a twist. I wanted to try it before I posted it. To make it more 'frugal' I added a can of drained, smashed cannelloni beans. It was good! It stretched the salmon and I got 8 patties out of it. I'd like to experiment with the seasonings a little more - but all in all - I'd make it again!