Menus for Frugality

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a Southerner and we gotta have biscuits and gravy. In fact gravy go on just about anything. If you have some really thick gravy, make a gravy sandwich. Often I will cook gravy for breakfast and we'll eat it on rice.

Ha, ha I just was reading all these old post and realized I had wrote "I will cook rice for breakfast and we'll eat it on rice." Ha, ha, ha... Well now it's edited.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to make "fish" cakes out of garbanzo beans and nori sheets crumbled, old bay seasoning, some kind of crumbs, maybe a tbsp. of flour or cornmeal stirred up and let set for a couple of hours. Then fry or bake in the oven. You would think it was really fish. We have them with tartar sauce, lemon juice or like my grandson, ketchup. A can of beans is a lot cheaper than a can of fish.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't eat fish, love beans. OK -- occassionaly a tuna sandwich with LOTS of onion, olives, pickles....anything to kill that "fish" taste.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried to make black bean burgers once. They were disgusting. Please share how you make them so I know what I did wrong! ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe? What's a recipe? LOL

I haven't made them in a while, but I basically just smashed the beans, added some "stuff", formed 'em into patties, dusted em with a little flour and cooked 'em in a frying pan and ate 'em. The "stuff" I added consisted of finely chopped onion and garlic, a little cilantro, some cumin, salt and lotsa pepper, an egg, breadcrumbs, a couple tablespoons of mexi-corn and a dash of hot sauce.

Probably leave the corn out in the future, lol! Those of you who may have read my thread about the trials and tribulations of my new LGD, Cowboy, on BYH will know why!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He did! I don't think I'll get that visual out of my head for awhile...

Oh, and I just re-read my 'recipe' - left out the "cook them" part. Need to go edit that...

Latest posts