Michele_Lynd a step at a time : what's up this week

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pigs are awesome...
yummy meat even if all you like is bacon and sausage lol and they make amazing tilling/manure machines and great composters too as they will eat pratically any garden/kitchen scraps.

what kind of piggies did you guys get?

side note, pigs are also very smart, smarter than dogs and just as trainable, im sure you guys will have alot of fun eaching none freezer piggy tricks, my grandfather had a gos boar who played soccer, and basket ball, knew how to sit, lay down, roll over, come to his name, dance (though that got hard as he got older) turn around in both directions, fetch ect...he was an absolute blast!

i want a piggy, his name will be 'mr plow' and he will live in a movable pen (electric) and will get rotated through veggie beds when not in use. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
mlynd said:
ok I'm now a hater of pigs my DH got us 2 pigs one for my DD2 to show and sell and the other for our freezer ....Hey OFG Wht in the Heck do i do with these things I no nothing about them but BACON!!!!
ha! it only gets worse baby!

um... put them on pasture with really really good fencing (use electric on the inside of field fence. feed 'em up....then butcher them as soon as you can.

check out here for what to feed them and how to dress them (and i'm not talking about little suits and ties):
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/p/what-i-know-about-pigs.html

all that lovely pork will be very happy in your freezer.

ps they get really stinky
pss 4H is really strict about how and what you feed them.. not necessarily in line with us SS types.. but it works. if you raise them together you might have to follow the 4H "rules" but then keep the freezer one about a month later and finish him on corn corn corn and more corn and milk/eggs. you wanna get all the soy outta them

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
as for what kind of pigs not real sure I guess mix breeds LOL I have lots of pic's to post and I will soon, just waiting to get my DSL hook up first. dial up sooo slow LOL ordered my taddler lids today can't wait for that :ya got some more fruit tress planted this past weekend and the DD1 and DD2 are going to prom so we have been having all kind of fun with that, went shoe shopping Sat OMG 4 hrs just for shoes after words I just wanted to :smack some girls.....Oh well just part of it I guess

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok Here are the Pic I've been promising

Missy
1673_024.jpg

Molly
1673_021.jpg

our Worm Bed
1673_029.jpg

My Chicken Coop made from stuff we found around our place
1673_019.jpg

1673_018.jpg

And my little homestead girl
1673_023.jpg

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks ff My Dh worked on the idea for awhile before the lite came on and he Said Oh I have the stuff around here that can built what you want

Ok Other new my Tattler lids came in as well as my new Chicks i'll post pics of them soon as the storm passes and I can get out there to take some :hide

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well here are the rest of the pic's I've been promising
1673_potato_tires.jpg
the potato tires

1673_pigs.jpg
the Hated Pigs Bacon and Auction

1673_orachard.jpg
The future Apple orchard

1673_hens2011.jpg
the little hens

1673_gesse.jpg
the geese and the only duck

1673_chicks2001.jpg
the Fuzzy butts;)

1673_blueberries.jpg
and the Blueberry bushes

enjoy:D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Wow! Look at all your projects going on. How much land do you guys have to work with?

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 Acres the House is only 900 Sq ft the garage is 600 sq ft and the storage building is about 300 sq ft so I'd say a 1 1/4 open ground to work with and we have a lot to clean up:hide this place was not taken care of before we got here so little by little we have been removing old junk I need a dumpster for the stuff that is not usable I know sending things to landfill bad but I can find no use for some stuff but I have found use for others as u will soon see I hope to use some left over concret/rock slabs as stepping stones to the door and we are taking all the old scrap metal around here to recycle place the goats are going to love the briare patch and when that is cleaned out we are making a picnic area I have so many ideas I want to try it isn't funny DH just shakes his head, gripes and brings my ideas to life :love