Microwaves, how evil are they?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
http://www.all-about-cooking.com/microwave_myths.html
"Exploding the Microwave Myth
Despite the fact that microwave cookers have been with us for over 30 years, they still tend to be treated as a secondary method of cooking in many kitchens

Part of the reason for this stems from some ill-informed comment made about them when they first appeared, much of which persists to this day and is still often repeated by those who should know better.

First of all its important to understand that microwave cookery is perfectly safe. In fact, its probably the safest form of cooking, given that the oven never heats up and has no sharp edges. You cannot burn or cut yourself on a microwave oven.

Food is cooked by exactly the same source of power that is found in sunlight; i.e. short waves of electro-magnetic energy that, in the case of a microwave oven, are converted from electricity. And although this can be described as a form of radiation it is not, as some people seem to think, radioactive.

On the contrary, this is the same short-wave energy that is used in TV sets, some medical equipment and even FM radio. Its also found in ordinary light bulbs, sun lamps and fluorescent tubes.

It cooks food because the microwaves are attracted by water molecules as well as those of fat and sugar. In turn, it causes them to vibrate, creating friction and therefore heat. Its a process not unlike someone rubbing his, or her, hands together.

In many cases, only a part of the food is cooked in this way because the microwaves only penetrate up to a depth of about 5cm. Heat is spread to the rest of the food by convection and distribution, which is why stirring the food is important, as well as leaving it to stand for a few minutes after the oven switches off.

The speed with which microwaves cook has also given rise to the idea that they are unable to change the appearance of food and in particular that they fail to brown meat.

The truth is that most of the time meat is cooked before it has time to brown. This is particularly true of poultry and small joints. Using cooking bags can help to overcome this problem if thats what it is as well as painting with soy sauce, paprika, butter and the like.

On the plus side, meat cooked in the microwave will remain moist and succulent, retaining most of its nutrients, which in turn will give rise to enhanced flavor.

Vegetables, too, will benefit from the rapid cooking in very little water, which keeps both their color and their nutrients intact.

In short the microwave is not just for reheating leftovers and cooking TV dinners. It has a respectable place in any modern kitchen and has many benefits to offer, not the least being the fact that, while it may not entirely replace a conventional oven, it is a lot cheaper to buy, economically far superior and a good deal more versatile."

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just started reading this article and find it interesting enough to share. I guess you are never supposed to microwave breast milk because it destroys some nutrients, but the general gist of the article is to use your microwave intellegently.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about what it might do to you....but I have one and like it.

I use it sparingly. And unplug when not in use.

Re-heat soup and that type of thing....never for "real" cooking cause most things to me come out very yucky in a micro.

I will always have one but I rely and love my toaster oven. That thing is just the best!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
That's true Pat, but is the nature of the denaturing different in a microwave as opposed to from a conventional heat source? Some people would say it causes different kinds of changes. I don't know.

But something funny from the reading I did . . . I forgot about how food gets cold quickly when you microwave it. :p I think I like conventionally heated food better.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I made the switch last week to try to reheat (that is all I used microwave for) on the stove, or eat things cold.

Those "steam bags" full of veggies really scare me...plastic bags in the microwave getting so hot and touching food, YIKES

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Someone certainly likes their microwaves. :p

I think the name in itself; micro and wave, says something right there.

But what do I know.

BBH, those veggies always taste funky too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, pick your poison, that is for sure. I've used one for years, and in recent years, I am using it less and less. I can't see dh letting me get rid of it completely, and with it sitting there....I do tend to use it more than I care to admit.

I will not microwave any of my own animal products, like eggs or milk or broth. I am not going through all the trouble to have truly excellent food and then ruin it. I avoid heating anything with animal protein in it. That cuts usage way down. I mostly use it to heat water for tea. Lazy, I admit it. If I didn't have it, I would very quickly not miss it.

This is why I drink WARM chocolate instead of hot chocolate. I tried warming the milk with the double-boiler method, but it always ends up tasting cooked, I had no idea until a few short months ago what pasteurizing does to the taste. I'd rather have it warm from the goat, it took a little getting used to but when I think only in positive terms when I drink it, it gets more and more delicious.

So I tolerate cool foods more than I used to, such as not eating quickly enough and my food cools down, I no longer run over and stick it in the nuker. I tolerate eating it cool, or stick it under the broiler if appropriate.

There is enough evidence that at least animal proteins change in the microwave enough to become neuro-toxic. Just have Alzheimer's in your family, and you will run screaming from anything that damages your brain.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I made the switch last week to try to reheat (that is all I used microwave for) on the stove, or eat things cold.

Those "steam bags" full of veggies really scare me...plastic bags in the microwave getting so hot and touching food, YIKES
I stopped microwaving any plastic a while back. I bought Pyrex storage containers and I use my 1950s refrigerator boxes or a plate. I'm still nagging my DH to stop microwaving in styrofoam. Sheesh!