Microwaves, how evil are they?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What are 1950's refrigerator boxes?
They are glass dishes with covers used for food storage. I have one that was my mother's.

I will see if a picture turns out.....

edited to add pics - they aren't very clear.

top view - lid askew on top of dish

refrigeratorbox1.jpg

side view - lid on properly

refrigeratorbox3.jpg

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yep, I have several sizes. The pyrex ones with the Amish scenes are my favorites. Give me a minute and I'll find my picture!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Here you go:
Chickenstuff.jpg

I find them at tag sales once in a blue moon. I've got my grandmother's and some from Ebay.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a google search....I have to look for those now!!! I love them! Just the answer to plastic, which I rarely use now. I use a lot of canning jars for leftovers, and pyrex bowls with plastic wrap on top. I want to continue to reduce my plastic use in every way.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Those are pretty. Now I know what I have :gig. They were here when we moved in. So apparently I use them correctly :lol:
Mine aren't as fancy as yours though

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Those are pretty. Now I know what I have :gig. They were here when we moved in. So apparently I use them correctly :lol:
Mine aren't as fancy as yours though
I have some plain yellow ones too. I took that picture to share on BYC of chicken items that everyone collects. That's why the Lenox salt and pepper shakers are there too. I'd like to get more. I love the glass lids. I sometimes put a rubber band around them if I'm storing something liquid in one in the fridge. Since the lids don't snap in place they can leak if they're jostled. They do stack nicely though. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I only have two, one red, one blue. I also put rubber bands around them. I think a new fad may have been started here. ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am peeking on Ebay. There are some of the Amish ones going for under $5 at the moment!

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are having problems with our microwave. I noticed the problem first when melting butter. When I tried to melt butter, it would spark. Now it is doing that with most everything, sometimes making a horrendous array of sparks inside. The only way it will work correctly is to put a glass of water in with everything that we microwave. Personally, I just want to get rid of ours and NOT replace it. The only problem is; it is mounted to the kitchen cabinets, and it will take some work to get rid of it so there is still that temptation to use it occasionally. Mostly what we used ours for was to heat food or water, but I would rather just go back to heating things the old-fashioned way. I did finally get away from microwaving popcorn. I use a Whirley-Pop (popcorn popper) on the stove top for that now.

When we started having problems with the microwave, that is when I did some research online and was reading about all the bad things associated with microwave use. From what I have read, I am convinced that microwaves are not safe at all. I am just curious to know how consumers ever got suckered-in on this product. I suppose the FDA said that microwaves were safe and everyone fell for it. However, we have the internet now; and that's power to the people. :D