Microwaves, how evil are they?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
We are having problems with our microwave. I noticed the problem first when melting butter. When I tried to melt butter, it would spark. Now it is doing that with most everything, sometimes making a horrendous array of sparks inside. ...
Using anything with metal will cause microwaves to spark. Even dishes with stenciled silver/gold designs (as some actually contain metal in the stenciling materials) can cause sparks. Metals in microwaves can also damage them.

However, if your microwave is sparking, and you do not have metalic materials, chunk it! They are cheap enough that repairs are generally not cost effective, even if you can find someone to do it.

All a microwave oven does is to direct radio waves into whatever is inside of them. I use radio waves within the same frequency range at times in Amateur Radio, and I have to be very careful not to "nuke" myself. :/

A lot of you probably have wireless routers or telephones that operate near the same frequency (2.4GHz). However, the power levels are greatly reduced and safe.

Food heated via "conventional" methods is no different that that heated by a microwave. Hot is hot, and food heated to the same temperature by any method (and all other things being equal) will cool at the same rate.

just my 2 cents.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since we all are going to pass away from something probably other than an absolute microwave related death, I am sure it is fine to make our own decisions on whether we like the machine or not. It is a convenience you are willing to use or not. Long term exposure is out there to everything nowadays.

So it just boils down to do you like to use one or not for me..LOL-LOL

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
After re-examining the evidence, I now concur that microwave ovens are EVIL.

I have worked with radio waves for over 40 years and I can definitely say that they have caused my skin to wrinkle, and my hair to turn gray and start to thin out. They must also cause some swelling to occur, because my clothes seem to have gotten tighter also.

Bad, evil microwaves! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
After re-examining the evidence, I now concur that microwave ovens are EVIL.

I have worked with radio waves for over 40 years and I can definitely say that they have caused my skin to wrinkle, and my hair to turn gray and start to thin out. They must also cause some swelling to occur, because my clothes seem to have gotten tighter also.

Bad, evil microwaves! :D
:lol: