Modern Pastuerized vs RAW MILK

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, so let's say I go milk my goat (which I havent' gotten yet :fl)

I bring the milk in the house. Now, do we just chill it and drink, or do I have to do something to it first?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, raw milk is ILLEGAL here in Oklahoma. :hu

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
ok, so let's say I go milk my goat (which I havent' gotten yet :fl)

I bring the milk in the house. Now, do we just chill it and drink, or do I have to do something to it first?
Freemotion says to filter it through one of those reusable metal coffee filters first. That is all she does. But let her or BlackBird talk to you, they are our goat milk experts.

Oh Free!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
We have a stainless steel colander with an attachable end that you can put a filter on and screw it together. Some people use an old t-shirt, coffee filters, etc.

Like Free, we only filter it then put in the fridge.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
It is illegal to sell raw goats milk here in CA, like this poor woman who was arrested last year (http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/33501/) but there are co-ops such as
http://www.delaneysartisanfoodsmarket.com/Goats_Milk.html
where you can become a member and part owner of the goats. Then you can get (not buy) raw milk and milk products.
:th That poor woman!

What about cigarettes? Why not make them illegal? They KILL people!

It is very frustrating to say the least, I'm glad you have an option to "own" part of a goat through the co-op. I would do that, one goat seems like it may produce way more than one family would need on a daily basis, am I right goat people?

That just gave me an idea!! I could "sell" a "share" of Dolly (my sheep) and then have someone who could milk her when I'm not around and share the load so to speak. Then it would be so worth it to have her bred. I think I could justify it that way.

I hear milking sheep isn't as easy as milking goats though. :/

ETA: spelling issues again... :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:frow Hi, BBH, I do have to go to work now and then... :rolleyes:

Yes, I have one of those little filters that you just wash out. The kind that sits on a mug if you are making coffee with it. The ones for the coffee makers are not designed well for this use because they are solid plastic on the bottom. So the milk would be hard to control as it leaked out on all sides. The little filters fit nicely inside a funnel, which you can then set on a bottle and filter it right into a bottle....or your cup, as I do in the morning. Don't get the funnel that is sold to match the filter, though, it is designed to slow the flow down to make coffee, and is designed to sit on top of a mug. You may want to filter your milk into various other bottles, and a regular funnel will be more versatile.

One thing I learned the hard way: Rinse your filter and all your milky jars and bottles with barely lukewarm water. Cold water will set the fats and clog your filter, and hot water will cook the proteins and clog your filter. I rinse in lukewarm water, then pour a mild bleach solution w/dishsoap over it and rinse again. I use 1 cup water, one drop dishsoap, and 1/2 Tbsp Chlorox bleach (that's 1.5 tsp for those who are measuring-challenged. Many measuring spoon sets have a 1/2 Tbsp, though. I keep mine right in my milking kit.) I also use this recipe as my udder wash and teat dip, and carry it in my kit in a peanut butter jar with a little flannel cloth (cocktail napkin size that I make from old sheets) right in the jar. I also put a plastic cup (an old 1/2 cup-sized bottle cap) right in the jar to dip teats with.) Use only Chlorox or Purex bleach, unscented and regular strength, not concentrated. Cheap bleaches can vary in strength from batch to batch and burn your little goatie.

I have never had a problem. Hope this helps!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
tamlynn said:
It is illegal to sell raw goats milk here in CA, like this poor woman who was arrested last year (http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/33501/) but there are co-ops such as
http://www.delaneysartisanfoodsmarket.com/Goats_Milk.html
where you can become a member and part owner of the goats. Then you can get (not buy) raw milk and milk products.
:th That poor woman!

What about cigarettes? Why not make them illeagle? They KILL people!

It is very frustrating to say the least, I'm glad you have an option to "own" part of a goat through the co-op. I would do that, one goat seems like it may produce way more than one family would need on a daily basis, am I right goat people?

That just gave me an idea!! I could "sell" a "share" of Dolly (my sheep) and then have someone who could milk her when I'm not around and share the load so to speak. Then it would be so worth it to have her bred. I think I could justify it that way.

I hear milking sheep isn't as easy as milking goats though. :/
I hate to be one of "those people" but I really do think much of it goes back to the government and big business. Money talks. Think of it, if you want milk to drink or cook with, you have to go to the store and pay sales tax. Milk is pretty much a staple. Granted, they could eventually switch commercial dairies over to regular milk(unpasteurized) but who would want to drink that? People who drink it, need to know where it comes from, how the animals are cared for etc. If commercial business can't even get meat right, why would they get milk right? It is the reason they pasteurize it, so they don't have to be considerate over the animals health and contamination of the product.

Just look at alcohol and cigarettes. They are known to kill and hurt people, it is a fact. Alcohol was once illegal, people had to jump boarders to get it. But now, it is no longer illegal. Why? Because they were able to put government restrictions on it, so the government gets a portion of the money. They've talked about doing the same with those illegal drugs.

It is just sad and upsetting that they would expend so much energy fighting natural milk. We will be getting our own cow. While I will play by the rules and not distribute natural milk, I will be supporting any movement in the area to fight the outlaw of it's sales.

It truly is sad how disconnected our country is with it's food. Splenda and Equal, the artificial sweeteners should be BANNED. Equal which is aspartame, has been scientifically documented to cause cancer in lab rats, yet it is available on every table top of every restaurant. Makes me sick! I think the mass public needs to be more aware of what they put in their mouths, because you ARE what you eat. Quit worrying about being fat, and educate yourself on the hundreds of carcinagens that are being marketed. Grrrr! Get's my blood boiling, to have known people who have suffered and died from cancer and the government and ag are going to fight over this, of all things!