Molly's kidding thread~Buckley improved~just waitin' on a normal poo

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I could take a picture of the same baby's head today if you guys would be interested. I don't think it really looks much different. The color is a little less black is all, more brown, and her skin looks more pink. Those photos were immediately after.

Glenolam, I realize I never answered your question about the right side. Both sides looked very much alike when she was done. Not sure why the photo looks that way.

I thought my son was taking pictures during the other two. I was just trying to pay attention. I had a hard time seeing with all that smoke and what not.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was glad to see yours because ours have little black areas within the copper ring like yours, so I wasn't sure if that meant we didn't do it long enough. I have seen photos from others where the ring was so clean and perfect - and that was not happening with ours, mostly because they were fighting us with all the strength they had.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The way she held them, they could not struggle. I tried that hold later on Buckley to make him drink his medicine and I'm so glad I saw it. It reminded me of the first time I saw vets trim dog toenails with one person pinning the dog to the ground.

She took and plopped the kid between her legs, pinning everything except the neck and above between her thighs. She pretty much had the rest of the body pinned down to the ground under her legs. She got the kid to hold still in that position first, kinda scratched its head, etc. Then she took her left hand and clamped its head against her right leg. It could NOT move. She did the left bud. She did lots of short ones, like she was watching to see the results and going back to get there.
Then when she did the opposite bud, she used her left hand again but held the head against her left leg more with the back of her hand by the ear, and held the disbudder in her right hand again. She kind of cupped her hand under the neck/head and held them perfectly still that way.

She also had an attitude about it that reminded me of my dog training training. She was firm, calm, deliberate and did not struggle with the animals and also did not hesitate.

I know with dogs and trimming nails and such, your attitude toward them when you do it is just as important as how you do it. O showed me it was much the same with goats.
When I tried this "attitude" with giving Buckley his meds, I found my practice with dogs helpful but I still have a long way before anyone would call me a goat whisperer! :lol: :gig :th

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The 'hold' has to be something that comes with experience. We copied what our breeder showed us and it was not working. We thought we had them firmly pinned, but they jerked away just enough to make us hesitate. Oh well, it's over and lessons were learned. Phew. I'm gonna go check on them again - they were playing just fine right after.

Latest posts