Monsanto Doesn't Exist

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dont use roundup. ;)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nor do I. I'll not allow it on my property, and choose to do battle with poison ivy by pulling by hand and smothering. It's not a battle I'm winning, but, I consider it a small victory to not have it spreading any further, and to get through a season without a skin outbreak. In the past, when I get even the tiniest outbreak, it will last 6 weeks. Since making a plantain and jewel weed salve, I've found that any eruptions are cleared in about 2 weeks time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nor do I. I'll not allow it on my property, and choose to do battle with poison ivy by pulling by hand and smothering. It's not a battle I'm winning, but, I consider it a small victory to not have it spreading any further, and to get through a season without a skin outbreak. In the past, when I get even the tiniest outbreak, it will last 6 weeks. Since making a plantain and jewel weed salve, I've found that any eruptions are cleared in about 2 weeks time.
I am very allergic to it too. I also have issues with chemicals and can only use vinegar and water to clean house. I am very limited in what products I can use, which is almost zero. But when it comes to poison vines, namely Virginia Creeper, I go for the Clorox. When I am exposed, I make a weak solution of Clorox and water, and dab it on the affected area, then let it dry. If I was badly exposed, I put a cup or two of Clorox in the tub and soak. I don't rinse it off, but pat dry. If I do it right away, I won't even break out. I try to stay as natural as possible, so I'm not coming from the attitude of using all the man made crap available. This really works, you might want to give it a try.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have sensitive skin. I've used ammonia, straight out of the bottle, or might even dilute it 1:1 to break the urushiol immediately after a suspected exposure. I wear lots of plastic/rubber, long sleeves and pants, wear long plastic bags pulled up over my pant legs when working around poison ivy. I look like a member of a haz mat team, and it's miserable when the weather gets hot. And if black flies or mosqitoes are around, I have to quit, b/c I'm bound to touch my face! I also wash all of my clothing in a bucket of hot water w/liquid dawn and ammonia before putting them into the regular wash.

I'd love to have a goat or two, but that's not gonna happen. Hubby is a city boy at heart, and we have to compromise. Nor, do I honestly think I'd have the time and energy to do justice to any 4 legged farm critters.