Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh YES! Having lots of it with our Roast Pork dinner this evening: home canned Herbed Green Beans, Mango Chutney, and baked potatoes from our basement "root cellar".

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Still keeping on keeping on, Christmas was lovely despite a very cold week weather-wise (-20s C).

We're into a warm sunny spell with temps just above freezing which has got my mind on the garden, so I ordered my seeds a few days ago. Starting to plan where everything will go in the garden and then when the seeds arrive next week I'll pull my shelves and grow lights out of the basement and get tomatoes, cardoon, celery, peppers and a few other things started :)

Keeping up with my winter canning as well, hubs canned up 10 pints of ground bison the other evening and I've also been doing up tons of soups as it has been perfect weather to enjoy a good bowl of soup with some fresh home made crusty bread :drool

Been doing a bit of knitting and a bit more painting around the house, haven't done much to my project bedroom dressers just yet but plan to sand them down the next warm day we have when we don't have anything on the calendar--then I'll have to get serious and get them painted up so we can start to use them.

We recently sold our old sawdust-wood dressers and are currently kinda living out of laundry baskets and our closet in an attempt to spur me on to finish this project sooner than later. It will be so great to have "new" furniture! As a side-effect, we went through our clothing and just took a big bag of things to the thrift store--some things I had still went back to high school 25 years ago! And we've made a pact to keep our bedroom clear of any "stuff" that doesn't belong there, it's too easy to dump things in there when company is expected and we need to quickly "clean" our family room. So that will be good :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Isn't that what you're supposed to do? :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Isn't that what you're supposed to do? :hide
Lol, we're trying not to from now on :)

We've spent a lot of time over the past year de-cluttering and finding new ways to deal with the types of things that pile up. In most cases, for us, it's paper. So we're working harder on chucking junk mail as soon as it comes in from the mailbox along with envelopes. We get all of our bills online now, so there isn't much useful that comes in the mail anymore. We've also got to the point where we are actually putting everything away when we are done with it--no more board games or craft projects left out on the table for days and days, homework back into backpacks after it is done so there is no mad scramble first thing in the morning to find everything--stuff like that. We're not perfect, and don't expect that, but we're way better than before.

We're all really liking the more calm "zen-like" atmosphere of our more tidy house, so that is a kind of kick in the pants to keep it going :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've been trying for that for years. Only problem being, no one else really cares-unless they can't find something. :somad

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol, if it's not mine, I just tell them that I'm not responsible for keeping track of their stuff. It works, they've pretty much given up asking me ;)

What I hate is not being able to find MY stuff, right after I've "cleaned up". :rolleyes: You know, when you've put something somewhere where you know you'll remember where it is? :barnie :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
HA! I have a revolving door...no such thing as clean around here. Boots track in mud and crap daily, and if not boots then dogs do it...I hope it works for you moolie, I have given up. I keep it "slightly above reproach" around here anymore :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
As soon as I'm feeling up to it, I'm doing a major cleaning here. And I'm going to be telling people that I'm tossing stuff. So, if they have something they don't want tossed....

I do feel a bit better about my house though. While I was sick, I was watching the TV show, Hoarders. My house is not as bad as any of the houses on the show and even at its worst, wasn't. I've made great strides but w/all I have to do, plus my Meniere's, it's hard to get it all done.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Cindy, I totally hear you on the revolving door thing. My house is constantly overrun with kids, most not mine. But they need a place to hang out and I'm so glad that our house is that place for them :) They do leave a mess sometimes although they are pretty good for the most part.

Hey Deb, I haven't seen Hoarders (don't watch tv much and don't get those channels) but I did once see a lady who I think probably qualifies for that kind of show--she was driving down the freeway in a car that literally was filled to the roof with stuff everywhere except where she was sitting. It was one of those horrifying/fascinating things, I could barely tear my eyes away as I passed her. I felt bad about that, and bad for her. Can't imagine what happens to a person to make them hold onto stuff to that degree but I'm sure it's a huge thing to overcome once it gets to that point.

I have my own issues with stuff, I moved house so many times and had to purge so often when I was a kid that now that my life is stable I find it difficult to get rid of things that have sentimental value or "may be useful on day". But for the most part it's all put away and not in the public eye. It's been good to go through and purge, because I've had some of it so long now that I'm not that attached anymore. Paper was the easiest to get rid of, and we were even able to sell some books and a few furniture items--nice to get something in return to clearing out :)