More and more free wood

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We finally got back to working on the coop yesterday. It was hot and dry, and has a slight breeze. It was a great day to build!

We added more ventilation lower down than we had originally planned (thanks, @Beekissed for the post on Deep Litter!) And I finished digging trenches for a hardware cloth apron. We're hoping to get windows framed in today.

So far we've only had to buy screws, hardware cloth and nails, the roof panels (on clearance marked down to less than $8 from $35 a piece), two packs of shingles, and a few braces for this job. All of the wood is reclaimed and was free to us.

Ps 13:6, "I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me."
IMG_20180223_064315.jpg
IMG_20180223_064241.jpg
IMG_20180223_064227.jpg
IMG_20180222_144225.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm loving the coop!! Is the top half going to be a lot of open air spaces? If so, I'm loving it even more. Nothing keeps a coop more healthy than light and air....plenty of air.

Here's a little tip about the hardware wire on that bottom vent...place some strips of wood over the edges of your cloth to sort of sandwich it in between wood. It will make it more secure and keep big stray dogs from pushing it inward as easily.

I can't believe you got such nice, wide boards for free! Much envy on this side of the computer. Andy is doing a great job on that. Did you already show those fancy roofing panels on this site? I love those too. Think of how light it will be in your coop all year.

Got any of that chicken wire left? You might place some on the inside of the glass on your door...chickens are crazy and when excited will fly into any open space they see, even if it's glass. Could be it could save you some glass if you line it with chicken wire.

The Lord is surely blessing you in all manners of things, MMD....the free wood, the free dog, the free trees, etc. Isn't God good? :love

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He's GREAT! There's NO way we'd be as far as we are without God's blessings!

Thanks for the tips on the glass! And I suggested the board too across that hardware cloth. I think it will be OK though. the boards overlap it by several inches top and bottom and it is stapled in on all sides and in the middle. but yes, I had the same thought as you. The top will be a row of windows on hinges that will be able to be opened individually for lots of light and ventilation. We saw a whole bunch of matching ones at a thrift shop. I just have to go pick them up. I'll run wire on the inside for when I have them open to keep snakes and other critters out.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gotta go dig up some flowers at the neighbor. I'm helping her clean her flower beds and she's giving me LOTS of free perennials. :celebrate

Work, for the night is coming,
Work through the morning hours;
Work while the dew is sparkling;
Work 'mid springing flowers.
Work when the day grows brighter,
Work in the glowing sun;
Work, for the night is coming,
When man's work is done.

(Annie Coghill, Lowell Mason)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oops! Not sure what happened to the rest of my post...

Thanks, Bee!! Yes, I thought of adding a board across that screen too. And the top will be a LOT of windows that can be opened. I'll have hardware cloth on the inside. We saw a bunch of windows at a thrift shop. LOTS of light, and the ability to open up for more ventilation on every side. :)

And Bee, God is GREAT! There's NO way we could have accomplished so much so soon without his blessings! Free wood, free dog, free plants, free chickens, the right weather, good neighbors, and lots of help barely scratch the surface of the blessings!

"I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live." Ps 116:1-2

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That chicken coop is great! It looks so big, what are the dimensions? Your chickens will love it and give you lots of eggs. Fill it up with leaves, kitchen trimmings, hay, grass clippings, garden cuttings and anything vegetation. What they don't eat, they'll scratch to bits, poop all over it and make you compost! Deep litter is a gift to the garden.

:thumbsup

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, Bay. I already do deep litter, and everything goes in there! The coop is almost 12'x 22', and 6' at the lowest height. It's very close to the garden, so I plan to hang many of my garden tools there too, and maybe use some of the space for some of my gardening things, especially until I have time to rebuild the garden shed. Other garden stuff will be temporarily stored in the greenhouse until the garden shed is done.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can go to Lowes and ask for "oops" paint. You get whatever color, but at a real good price. I once bought a 5 gallon bucket of a very pale gray ourdoor, expensive paint for very little. A LOT of things got painted that pale gray color-including a bedroom!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep. I've done that too. That's how we got most of the colors around here. I have a friend at chhrch and my father in law that both work at Lowe's, and I have them watch for sales, clearance, the cull rack, returned stuff... And we get the 10% veteran discount. :) I LIKE Lowe's!

Latest posts