more knitting!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
I have another question....

I am doing one row knit, one row purls. Really simple. (The twists... it just doesn't look quite right... Tension is wrong??)

How do I tell which I'm on. I finish a row and immediately have no clue whether I just knitted or purled. I cannot recall if I'd put the needle through the front or back.

Is there any way to tell? I can't even tell how to count rows to guess...

ETA: I see!!! After whichever I just did, the yarn sticks out the front, and it's out the back on the other.

I think back is knit, front is purl. Almost positive. I get confused SOOOO easily :(

So I have that part... If I stop during a row, would I have any way to tell which it is??
The flat side, which looks braided is the knit/front side, and the loopy side is the purl/back side.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Here's a good pic of the knit stitch, and here's a good pic of the purl stitch. See on the purl stitch, directly under where the loop hangs on the needle, is a "horizontal loop"? Then on the knit stitch there's no loop...the yarn goes from the loop on the needle directly down to the work.

It's good to know the difference especially when you start doing ribbing (like K1P1 or K2P2) because keeping track of that when you can't tell the stitches apart is a real pain! Ask me how I know! :lol:

What do the twists look like that you say look wrong? When you purl, are you making sure to wrap the yarn over the needle instead of "under" the needle? When I first started learning to purl I was wrapping my yarn the wrong way. Oops!

And what you're doing is called the stockinette stitch. :) That's when you have a row of knit, followed by a row of purl, so that it's all flat and nice one one side. :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
One thing about stockinette is that the edges tend to roll a bit. Good luck with your knitting! The scarf sounds pretty. The videos on youtube are SO helpful!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
abifae said:
The edges are a bit funky. Not sure what I'm doing wrong going from knit one way to purl t'other. Maybe it's sposed to look like that???
Can you show us a picture? :D