Morel's Country Cottage Wow! What a weekend! Fires, chemical spills

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Now a goose down jacket for a person, that is a different story.
Oh ya, or a duvet...I have one of those! I think everyone in Canada has one of those...unless their allergic...and if they are allergic, then they are COLD!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I looooooove my down comforters...best investment I've ever made. I would never have an electric blanket after owning one of these...its like sleeping under a warm cloud~you can barely feel the weight of the blanket! :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh I can't live without mine!

Well, yet another day of cancelled school...that's three in a row now. It's currently -35C (-31F) here and I am freezing. |I am NOT looking forward to having to go up to the coop this morning but unfortunately I will have to brave the cold and get out there! It takes 15 minutes just to get dressed to go out in these temps! Gotta put so much gear on... LOL!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, I think they froze under the ground, as the pump and accompanying pipes are in the cellar, carefully wrapped and with a heater on it. The next place the pipes appear are about 6 ft. away in my laundry room/bathroom~where we have no water, even though the pipes have a heater on them and the room is toasty warm. So..somewhere in that 6 ft. of space is a problem, I would guess.

We have not been successful in getting a thaw going. This is why I am taking my income tax money and finding myself a good hand pump for this extra well next to the house. No freezing of those pipes!! That way, I can flush commodes, cook, drink, water animals, water my garden from this well if the other is frozen or low. :/

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I was discussing a hand pump purchase with Dh just last night...the man is coming around...he finally thinks it might be a good idea...we will be putting it in the laundry room and actually just attaching it to existing plumbing used for the pump, if ever need be:>)
He says it would be a five minute job to change it over if everything is ready and hand...and because our pump is a submersable pump is has a capability to be used that way AND will assist at keeping water in the line so that we aren't pumping forever if we have to change for a few days at a time

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH says putting a hand pump for back up is not practical with how our water system is set up and it would NOT be just a minute job to switch it over. He said we would need an extra well. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have an extra well! :D Soooooooo convenient! And an outhouse, thank goodness! :p I won't be without water next winter! :/

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey you are good to go Bee. With gravity fed septics you shouldn't need to use the outhouse though...thank goodness for that cause we don't have one:>) The only time I have to bring out the porta potty is when the septic freezes...and it doesn't happen at this house...(I bet the people in our old house are having fits right now cause that one used tp freeze up on us)
Well all the birds are back in the coop and seem comfy. I went and bought grains and seeds to mix into some kind of feed. I am going to try and feed both the pigeons and chickens close to the same mix eventually, but I am going to need some time to figure out what works. Been reading alot of Bee's journal....THANKS BEE>>>GREAT IDEAS!
I figure that if you give them enough different seed options nature will tell each of them individually which seed they need more of...after all, isn't that what foraging is all about??? I have to try it...my curiousity is peaked now:>)