Morel's Country Cottage Wow! What a weekend! Fires, chemical spills

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
MorelCabin said:
FarmerDenise said:
I didn't know what a rag quilt was either. It is beautifull!!!
Now I want to go and find the quilts I started and work on them. I just can't remember which box any of them are in and they are stored at my house (which DD lives in) and burried in the garage. :th
Rag quilts are the simplest of all the quilts....I just love to make them, they go together very quickly and can be far from perfect...no straight seams required for those, and they always look good! This one was simply appliqued with two different sized layers of hearts, edges frayed the washed and dried. Go get your quilts out farmer Denise!
What type of material do you make the rag quilts out of? Does it have to be flannel, or denim (which seems to be what all the online tutorials are)?
That last one I did was simply cotton...but I wouldn't do that again anytime soon...ONLY because when you make them with cotton you have to fill with quilt batting...at least I did...and the quilt batting has to stay on the inside of the seams...pain in the butt for me. You could do it I suppose with flannel inside and on the back (two layers of flannel) and a cotton top...that actually might be what I try if I do another rag quilt.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I need to go over therre and look for some paperwork anyway. So I might just dig around for those quilt. I actually have a quilting frame I picked up at Goodwill for a few $$ afew years ago. It is still sealed in it's original box :ep
Like I don't have enough to do, but I would enjoy it and SO always appreciates it, when I make stuff like that!
Sure would be a better way to spend my time than playing internet games :hide

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my Lord....the quilts in the photos are stunning! wow wow wow....I loved the mommy & me and the rag one too. I wanna quilt.....I have a sewing machine and tons of fabric from years ago...I wanna quilt....whine whine...

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
TTs Chicks said:
Morel - your quilts are gorgeous! I am working on a memory quilt for my Mom - I got some of the material stuff you can print pictures on. I just kinda made up my own simple squares pattern - I was making good progress till I tried to put it together and realized that I had sewed the rows without pictures together wrong :barnie had to rip them apart and now I get to start putting it back together :D
When your quilt is done I wanna see pictures!!! Don't give up on it...I know at times we feel like it...but your mother will be so pleased to have a memory quilt like that!
I've been working on one for my parents...thier birthdays are both in May and I hope to have it done by then. The blocks are finished, it needs to be peiced and some embroidery. It's called "His Eye Is On the Sparrow..." and will have the names and birthdates of everyone in the family from my parents down to the grandkids. I hope to really get to work on it now that most of my other projects are completed. Then I have a nature quilt to do for my old neighbor

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
TTs Chicks said:
Morel - your quilts are gorgeous! I am working on a memory quilt for my Mom - I got some of the material stuff you can print pictures on. I just kinda made up my own simple squares pattern - I was making good progress till I tried to put it together and realized that I had sewed the rows without pictures together wrong :barnie had to rip them apart and now I get to start putting it back together :D
When your quilt is done I wanna see pictures!!! Don't give up on it...I know at times we feel like it...but your mother will be so pleased to have a memory quilt like that!
I've been working on one for my parents...thier birthdays are both in May and I hope to have it done by then. The blocks are finished, it needs to be peiced and some embroidery. It's called "His Eye Is On the Sparrow..." and will have the names and birthdates of everyone in the family from my parents down to the grandkids. I hope to really get to work on it now that most of my other projects are completed. Then I have a nature quilt to do for my old neighbor
I won't give up - it will be special especially since we lost my Dad (13th of this month was 1 year). It is frustratung, but I'll get it done. Yours sounds really cool.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
As usual, darlin', your quilts are stunning! You'll have to go over to my last journal entry and see the one my mom just did!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I went over to your journal...very very nice! I love the way the fish just pop!

Here's our yard now that the snow is melting...
29v1enb.jpg

Bedrock bedrock and more bedrock. There are crevices in here that are hard to see but will eventually be filled with shrubs and flowers. There's a shed going up way in the back for chickens and garden stuff...and hopefully part of it will be a green house as well.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
2gumygx.jpg

Well, this is what I spent the past week doing...a path to the greenhouse and shed...thinhgs are changing as I go...the greenhouse is going to be seperate from the shed...not like I origionally planned, but the landscape is crying for a greenhouse right on the crest of the hill where the path is leading up to.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That looks amazing. I can see the foliage in my mind's eye, and it's a beautiful vision !