Most unusual item in your "stash"

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Abifae- that is so funny. One of my prepper buddies has over 1000 bars of Hershey's chocolate bars packed in airtight bags with oxygen absorbers. I am taking all my supplies and heading to her house if the world gets too unbearable!

:D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
abifae said:
Chocolate. Cocoa powder and cacao nibs. :D
Me too! :D

I have just over 18 pounds of cocoa powder in mylar bags with O2 absorbers. We caught a sale on the 23 oz. containers and bought 12 of them to put back and 6 for using now. Don't ask me to live in a world without chocolate! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hey WZ, is this just shredded coconut in a bag? How do you make dairy from it? Ya got me curious.
All it takes is time and hot water :D

Preparing Coconut Milk from Desiccated coconut.

* Empty an 8 oz package of unsweetened desiccated coconut into a blender and add 1 cup boiling water.
* Blend for about 30 seconds and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
* Place a sieve over a bowl lined with cheese cloth.
* Ladle the mixture into the cheese cloth, fold the edges over the coconut meat and twist the ends to extract as much milk as you can into the bowl.
* Discard the squeezed coconut meat and refrigerate the coconut milk that has been extracted into the bowl. Refrigerate the milk and use within 1 or 2 days.
http://www.coconut-connections.com/coconut_milk.htm

Only I wouldn't throw out the coconut meat. If you dry out coconut meat that has its oil removed, you end up with coconut meal/flour. I use coconut flour to make pancakes and other baked items since I can't eat wheat. it's nom!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hey WZ, is this just shredded coconut in a bag? How do you make dairy from it? Ya got me curious.
All it takes is time and hot water :D

Preparing Coconut Milk from Desiccated coconut.

* Empty an 8 oz package of unsweetened desiccated coconut into a blender and add 1 cup boiling water.
* Blend for about 30 seconds and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
* Place a sieve over a bowl lined with cheese cloth.
* Ladle the mixture into the cheese cloth, fold the edges over the coconut meat and twist the ends to extract as much milk as you can into the bowl.
* Discard the squeezed coconut meat and refrigerate the coconut milk that has been extracted into the bowl. Refrigerate the milk and use within 1 or 2 days.
http://www.coconut-connections.com/coconut_milk.htm

Only I wouldn't throw out the coconut meat. If you dry out coconut meat that has its oil removed, you end up with coconut meal/flour. I use coconut flour to make pancakes and other baked items since I can't eat wheat. it's nom!
You can also take the squeezed out coconut and send it through the blender again with the same amount of hot water. This will give you a thinner (less rich) coconut milk. My Asian cookbook author points out that some recipes call for *thick* milk (first pressing) or *thin* milk (second pressing) or, if there isn't a designation, then just use a mixture of both. If you let the thick milk sit for awhile you will get *coconut cream* risen to the top.

ETA: Unsweetened coconut is best for this.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Good luck with your bees hiker...:) Another thing i have, i forgot to mention, is tons of duct tape.....It amazing how useful it is for a quick fix of alot of things...!

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
AHH, Duct tape, the magic cure all of home repair. That is a good one.

KevsFarm- I will take some pics when I inspect this weekend and I will keep you updated on my bees.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally.....the only thing 'unusual' about chocolate, cocoa etc...is being able to keep it long enough to be considered 'stored'......or didja mean 'on the hips' as stored? :lol: