Most unusual item in your "stash"

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well i dont have much in terms of stash, but i do have quite a collection of dog and cat treats :D

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A large sized can of grizzly bear pepper spray

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Hiker, my newphew makes his wallets out of duct tape, silly kid...lol Sounds good on the bees..

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my youngest son ( now 21) a few years ago made his wallet out of duct tape. He used it for ages... I think he finally has a leather one...
gotta put duct tape on the list... I have cocoa, chocolate syurp, stored.. still have the cocoa in original containers. I have have about 6 bars of bakers chocolate in fridge.. 2 giant bags and 2 small bags of nestles peices in freezer.. can't think of what I might have stored that is unusual.. I do know when I place bulk orders through the church that the lady says I order more exotic stuff.. ( I went for grains this order ( quinoa, barley, flax, oat groats, spelt, rye) but wasnt able to get the rye or the spelt. first order last year was baking items.
I am trying to figure out if I can get a top bar hive and some bees and not get in to trouble.. Honey is so hard to find around here and when you do find it it's an arm and a leg.. the stores have it but in little containers that are out rages.

just thought of one item in food storage.. I have 3 cans of crab meat.. I like gumbo and when I make it I like to put everything in it.. LOL.. chicken. shrimp, okra, rope sausage.. etc.. don't know it your supposed to but I do.. Oh also have 3 no 10 cans of freeze dried shrimp..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
just thought of one item in food storage.. I have 3 cans of crab meat.. I like gumbo and when I make it I like to put everything in it.. LOL.. chicken. shrimp, okra, rope sausage.. etc.. don't know it your supposed to but I do.. Oh also have 3 no 10 cans of freeze dried shrimp..
Sounds like our gumbo. We do, on occasion, make "specialty" gumbo like chicken and andouille, or smoked 'coon gumbo, but most of the time it's like yours (a little of everything). :thumbsup

We love Louisiana food. Last night it we had Red Fish Courtbouillon.

I do have a Louisiana section in my "stash". I have about 10 pounds of vacuum packed Tony Chachere's seasoning, 24 pounds of Community brand coffee. Oh, and Zatarain's root beer extract, Zatarain's sea food boil (both liquid and powder), Camellia brand dried red beans, Tobasco hot sauce, and Steen's cane syrup. Not too mention a few odds and ends, like Tabasco flavored Mayo and Cafe Du Mode beignet mix (if you're going to rough it, you might as well rough it with style).

S

sunsaver

I live in Louisiana, and we sure do love our food down here. I make my own tobasco sauce. It tastes just the brand name, only 3 times hotter with stronger pepper flavor. That over the counter stuff is too watered down.:lol:

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
(andouille, or smoked 'coon gumbo ), This texan doesn't know what andouille is, and I knew that raccoon could be eaten ( haven't tried it, but gumbo??? I know don't knock it till you try it..

I need to work on seasonings some more.. We stopped at meat market yesterday and hubby got a couple steaks that we will cook tommorrow. I was looking at their frozen rabbit 6.99 a pound..

I have had rabbit both domestic and wild when married to first husband thought it was pretty good.. He liked to hunt.. I bought rabbit at grocery store one time and cooked for supper.. boy did I catch it cause he said he could go out and shoot one instead of buy.. this was 20 + years ago.. I ve also had chicken fried squirrel once and thought it was good.. did have a lot of pepper in the batter though..
so far haven't had rattle snake, possum, raccoon, or aligator ( not for sure if I'd want to.. I would like to try bison and I love deer meat chicken fried or as beef stew..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Alligator can be tough. Properly prepared it is excellent. My Baby BIL worked at a restaurant that specialized in alligator dishes. Mmmmmmm!!!