Mouse in the House

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ferrets. They use litterbox and were domesticated to kill rodents and rabbits. They are pretty snuggly too.

A friend of mine once had a ferret as a pet. It would ride around on his shoulders and head. That ferret was a chick magnet, all the girls loved that thing for some odd reason.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are cute little snake-cats. Friend of mine had one and it was the sweetest thing. He'd got it because both my husband and I like the critters but couldn't have more pets at the apartment. We converted him. He's had ferrets ever since.

Now we just dont have room for a cage in the house. I've really thought about it though. Shoe horning in a spot has been tempting. They get along with cats and dogs. A nice ferret to work with the German shepherd for spots she can't get to would be good as well.

Watching this guy use mink and lurchers to kill rats is insane.

He talks about the reason he prefers a lurcher to a terrier in one video. Has to do with the agility.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grab them by the tail off of fences then bash their heads in against said fence or anything solid nearby. Me actively helping gets more than just the dogs alone. We had a huge outbreak on this side of the state last fall and I got it under control without resorting to poison. Poison is dangerous here as my dogs will eat younger rats as do the chickens.

I raised pet rats for a long time and know exactly where to grab though. Just dont try and stomp them in flip flops. None of my family will let me forget that. Hubby is always "You have actual shoes on yes? I don't want to go to the ER again." On the plus side I can make a couple of my aunts sick by mentioning the rat teeth stuck in my foot. That is amusing.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Hintori, your story about rats creeps me out. I find them to be totally intimidating. I can deal with mice. can do the mouse stomp with the best of them. But rats? I freak out at the idea of coming in contact with them.

Actually, on the way to work... while thinking about how to set up the mouse equations, I thought a ferret or two just might be the solution if @CrealCritter doesn't want a cat... or a snake. ;)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A small terrier breed would work inside as well. Or a schipperke. I think they are the only non-terrier ratter. They can be very loud little watch dogs though.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Geraldine: 3 x 10 = 30 (Jan 1)

Gen. 1: 30 x 3 pups = 90 pups (Mar. 21) x 7 litters = 630.

Gen. 3: 90 x 3 pups = 270 (first litter 6/14) x 5 litters= 1350

Gen. 4. 270 x 3 pups (first litter 9/7) x 3 litters

Gen 5. 810 x 3 pups (first litter 11/28)

I got lost after gen 1. b/c each generation continues to multiply. Realizing that I can't wrap my head around these numbers. But... that's a lot of mice!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just think of how much fun those dogs are having!!! I love seeing a dog get to do what they are purposed for...such joy apparent there.