Mouse in the House

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did you lift Gerald's tail to see if it was Geraldine? If a male, you can be assured that it was Bubba, one of Geraldine's suitors. By now, Geraldine has a whole new brood of babies suckling, while her teenage progeny are running to and fro, entering the dating scene. Most likely, by the time this new batch of pinkies are weaned, Geraldine will be in the family way again. New Daddy. Rinse and repeat.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mouse Life Cycle Stages
Females go into heat for 4 to 5 days. Once pregnant, rodents give birth after three weeks. Litters consist of 5 to 8 pups, and females can reproduce up to 10 times per year. ... Mice reach sexual maturity and are ready to mate about 2 months after birth.

Math quiz: Assume that all females reach maturity, and continue to breed at the rate of 10 litters/year. Assume that there are 6 pups/litter and 3 viable females in each litter, all of which produce viable litters at the same rate. In one year's time, how many breeding females might there be?

Show your math!

Prize: All of my daily bonus points. These points are valuable. Non refundable, non redeemable, non transferable. Hubby keeps his in a crock pot on top of the fridge. (that way, no one will find them and steal them.)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You sure have FRIENDLY mice! Maybe you SMELL like peanut butter. :D
We've had mice in the cupboards, but we have two cats in the house most of the time, and we rarely see evidence of mice anywhere other than the areas where the cats can't reach. I'll often leave the lower cupboard doors open to allow the cats to explore, hoping to discourage any there.
I just killed two babies out in the coop a few days ago. One of the cats really enjoys going into the coop, so he must smell them in there.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Math quiz: Assume that all females reach maturity, and continue to breed at the rate of 10 litters/year. Assume that there are 6 pups/litter and 3 viable females in each litter, all of which produce viable litters at the same rate. In one year's time, how many breeding females might there be?

Show your math!

LG, are you starting with only 1 female at the beginning of the year?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes. Just one pair, Geraldine and Gerald. Assume that the year starts on the day that the parents celebrate the blessed event of the arrival of their pups.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
perhaps you would prefer a house snake. While they shed, at least they don't leave fur all over the place, and gack up hair balls in your slippers.

OMG! Fur for sure!! :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, my machete would do a lot of damage to the floor when I found that slithering thing! And bloody, too.

Cats: I have none inside but, three adults out there and three 2 month kittens being taught by a crackerjack mom!

One old cat...no longer hunts, almost no teeth @ 20 =/-, one neutered male (my sons) will leave with him...female, young & only had her 6 months. She will be spayed. Kittens fixed when old enough. I figure four will be enough for me!

Uhhh--- I really dislike snakes!

Guy about 1/2 mile up the road used to raise mice for pet stores. Had a big bldg., bio-secured, about 3000 adult mice to start. Large setup for just this thing. Specific type mice & they were white. Froze pinkies. Selection of sizes shipped, alive or frozen. Most alive when couple weeks old. It was interesting. :D An every day job to collect from trays which housed them (kitty litter boxes, slid in racks, stacked 5-6 high) Had central water systems, food trays, etc. Think micery, as in rabbitry. :idunno To each his own.

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not for me, @Mini Horses! But if there's a demand for something, people will supply it!

@Lazy Gardener, I'm coming up with 59,048 a year there JUST for Gerald and Geraldine. I certainly could be wrong...:idunno(Actually, If I count their first batch as litter 1, it would be 177, 146 a year...)

Each batch triples the one before it. You start with 2, then, 6, then, 18; 54; 162, ... for 10 litters in one year. Then add them all together, and you've got a whole lot of money going out every year for birthday presents!!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not for me, @Mini Horses! But if there's a demand for something, people will supply it!

@Lazy Gardener, I'm coming up with 59,048 a year there JUST for Gerald and Geraldine. I certainly could be wrong...:idunno(Actually, If I count their first batch as litter 1, it would be 177, 146 a year...)

Each batch triples the one before it. You start with 2, then, 6, then, 18; 54; 162, ... for 10 litters in one year. Then add them all together, and you've got a whole lot of money going out every year for birthday presents!!

All that's assuming none fall for my traps :)

Latest posts