Mouse in the House

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hahaha. thats funny.. the ferret being a chick magnet.. hahaha... I coz i wont let that thing a meter near me.. ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

Another true animal story... in North Carolina, we had a solid black Tom cat that we raised up from a kitten. He was the coolest cat ever, he even had a main in the winter like a little lion. He used to follow me around all over the place and even played fetch like a dog. I started taking him with me in the truck when I would leave. He would jump on my shoulder and lay across the back of my neck like a scarf. I started taking him with me into all kinds of stores with him laying around my neck like a scarf.

On time i pumped gas and went into the gas station for a drink and he was around my neck. The guy behind the counter acted all scared. And said hey man you do realize you got a black cat around your neck don't you? I said yeah, but he can't help he's black. The guy behind the counter was black himself and we turned into pretty good friends shortly afterwards. But he still was superstitious of Dusty our black Tom cat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:th Gerald sounds adorable. o_O

We had a mouse problem in a double wide that we were living in - so we got a couple of kittens from a friend. She said the parents were barn cats and real good hunters. The male would occasionally catch a mouse, then run through the house with it in his mouth - usually holding it by its tail. He would play with it, then let it go when he was tired of that game... His sister was terrified of mice.
About 6 months later, DH went to do a repair on something under the house and discovered that the previous owner tried to do a repair on something, sliced the plastic on the underside of the house, and tried to seal it shut with duck-tape. The ducktape didn't hold and the plastic flopped down to the ground and took the insulation with it. It formed a 5' wide super-highway for the mice to get into the house. With some real duct-tape and a staple gun to repair the plastic, 2 bucket traps and a month later we were virtually mouse free.

OK I'll give you that much. Gerald was kind of cute, with those big eyes, little nose and whiskers. But he was a mouse!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gerald was reincarnated. I swear... what is it with these little gray mice and sitting on my knee?

Today same behavior, see a mouse in every room, lay of the couch to watch TV and there's Gerald reincarnated sitting on my knee, staring at me. Reincarnated Gerald still likes peanut butter. RIP reincarnated Gerald again, enjoy the septic tank little buddy - YOU WON'T BE MISSED.
IMG_20190726_244620150.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need my dogs and cats. They are are aggressive rodent killers. Too many holes I can't get to into this ancient house. Bat ears will stop at nothing to kill them. That GSD hates rodents.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mouse Life Cycle Stages
Females go into heat for 4 to 5 days. Once pregnant, rodents give birth after three weeks. Litters consist of 5 to 8 pups, and females can reproduce up to 10 times per year. ... Mice reach sexual maturity and are ready to mate about 2 months after birth.

Math quiz: Assume that all females reach maturity, and continue to breed at the rate of 10 litters/year. Assume that there are 6 pups/litter and 3 viable females in each litter, all of which produce viable litters at the same rate. In one year's time, how many breeding females might there be?

Show your math!

Prize: All of my daily bonus points. These points are valuable. Non refundable, non redeemable, non transferable. Hubby keeps his in a crock pot on top of the fridge. (that way, no one will find them and steal them.)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
perhaps you would prefer a house snake. While they shed, at least they don't leave fur all over the place, and gack up hair balls in your slippers.

OMG! Fur for sure!! :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, my machete would do a lot of damage to the floor when I found that slithering thing! And bloody, too.

Cats: I have none inside but, three adults out there and three 2 month kittens being taught by a crackerjack mom!

One old cat...no longer hunts, almost no teeth @ 20 =/-, one neutered male (my sons) will leave with him...female, young & only had her 6 months. She will be spayed. Kittens fixed when old enough. I figure four will be enough for me!

Uhhh--- I really dislike snakes!

Guy about 1/2 mile up the road used to raise mice for pet stores. Had a big bldg., bio-secured, about 3000 adult mice to start. Large setup for just this thing. Specific type mice & they were white. Froze pinkies. Selection of sizes shipped, alive or frozen. Most alive when couple weeks old. It was interesting. :D An every day job to collect from trays which housed them (kitty litter boxes, slid in racks, stacked 5-6 high) Had central water systems, food trays, etc. Think micery, as in rabbitry. :idunno To each his own.

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not for me, @Mini Horses! But if there's a demand for something, people will supply it!

@Lazy Gardener, I'm coming up with 59,048 a year there JUST for Gerald and Geraldine. I certainly could be wrong...:idunno(Actually, If I count their first batch as litter 1, it would be 177, 146 a year...)

Each batch triples the one before it. You start with 2, then, 6, then, 18; 54; 162, ... for 10 litters in one year. Then add them all together, and you've got a whole lot of money going out every year for birthday presents!!

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are cute little snake-cats. Friend of mine had one and it was the sweetest thing. He'd got it because both my husband and I like the critters but couldn't have more pets at the apartment. We converted him. He's had ferrets ever since.

Now we just dont have room for a cage in the house. I've really thought about it though. Shoe horning in a spot has been tempting. They get along with cats and dogs. A nice ferret to work with the German shepherd for spots she can't get to would be good as well.

Watching this guy use mink and lurchers to kill rats is insane.

He talks about the reason he prefers a lurcher to a terrier in one video. Has to do with the agility.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Geraldine: 3 x 10 = 30 (Jan 1)

Gen. 1: 30 x 3 pups = 90 pups (Mar. 21) x 7 litters = 630.

Gen. 3: 90 x 3 pups = 270 (first litter 6/14) x 5 litters= 1350

Gen. 4. 270 x 3 pups (first litter 9/7) x 3 litters

Gen 5. 810 x 3 pups (first litter 11/28)

I got lost after gen 1. b/c each generation continues to multiply. Realizing that I can't wrap my head around these numbers. But... that's a lot of mice!!!