mouth ulcers?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have been really stressing with all the moving stuff lately and it always seems to trigger mouth ulcers for me.....I get them a lot, ever since I got braces in the 7th grade I've been plagued with them, it seems.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them or make them go away faster?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Depends on the cause. Are they cold sores? How often do they occur? Where in your mouth? Are they painful?
If they are viral related, a low dose of a prescription antiviral on a regular schedule can prevent them. Alternatively L-lysine supplemants can also help.

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I suffer terribly from these. Everytime I injure the inside of my mouth it turns to an ulcer (canker). Crusty bread and potato chips are big problems, so I avoid them, but sometimes, I end up biting the inside of my mouth and then I know I'm hooped. Once I get one, I get a bunch.

My last bout was so bad, I couldn't eat and could barely drink, so I went to the dr. She prescribed an anaesthetic mouthwash. She also gave me demerol for the pain because it was so bad that it radiated up to my ear and down through my neck and jaw.

I'll be watching this thread for remedies to make them go away faster.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I get 1/2 gallon of orange juice and it takes care of them right away.

If it is really bad, some of that wax stuff from the orthodonist helps. I have crooked teeth that wear on my gums, so I get a canker on those spots once in a while.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If it is a virus (usually is) it needs to run its course. I used to have them pretty much non-stop when I was living an unhealthy lifestyle. Now I get them once in a while, but boy, are they painful! I also get chapped lips with them. Weird.

I find the best remedy is an over-the-counter tube of Zilactin (sp?), which is like a superglue that you cover it with, like a liquid bandage for inside the mouth. If you apply it once or twice a day, (stings!!!) then you won't feel it while it is covered, until the Zilactin wears off. Then just re-apply.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get them on both the inside and outside of my mouth. I usually only swish a bit of salt water around insside my mouth and spit for the internal ones. For the external ones, I put something like herpicin on it. the hard part is do NOT mess with it. You can spread it to other parts if you do. Any time your hands go near your mouth, wash them.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First post here. I have been lurking for awhile (over on BYC, and TEG). Just had to share this info. DH was plagued with these sores. Really made his life miserable. Yes, the L-Lysine helped, but changing to a toothpaste without SLS, (sodium laurel sulfate), absolutely changed his life. He rarely has a problem, and if he does it is very, very minor. SLS is the ingredient that makes these products foam. It is difficult to find toothpaste without this ingredient. I have to get mine at the health food store and it is stupidly expensive- but believe me, it is the best money you will spend!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome and WOW great advice. I say brush with baking soda for a week. Might help in more than one way.

I hope you feel better Lori. No worries your new place looks wonderful and will be done in no time. :hugs

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baking soda may be a good idea.

My son has had these since he was a little kid.
Now at 26, he told me that rinsing his mouth with grapefruit seed extract diluted in water makes them go away really fast., like over night for him