Moved away from Mainstream (medicine)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Have you tried taking bee pollen long term? That is said to help with allergies. I have never had allergies though so I have never tried it for that

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MC
you mean like the royal jelly caplets? I have seen them at my health food store....I will ask Dawn about them and get her feedback re: allergies...THANKS---anything is worth a try to keep avoiding the stupid sinus!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BUT if anyone can give me advice on a remedy to cure sinus trouble...I am game..LOL...I live with it down here in NC...between allergies to ragweed, mowing, etc. I have tried lots of things and not much helps...I just live thru it til I feel better.
I used to have horrible sinus infections and allergies all my life. We stopped using dairy products because #3 son was allergic, plus we started using raw honey to sweeten things, as sugar and red dye made him hyper. I really think it was the dairy...as I used to love milk and drank it constantly. I can still drink buttermilk and it has no effect on me but the rest does. I am now lactose intollerant...go figure.

No dairy and the occasional locally produced, raw honey can work wonders. My folks have been strict vegetarians for the last 15 years and they haven't had an illness or allergy since...and they are OLD! :ep They used to be real sick all the time!

ETA: I haven't had a sinus infection or cold in about 10 years now! Neither have my children! It works! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well my only dairy would be cheese actually. hate milk, never drink it, hate yogurt never eat it. No ice cream or such on a daily basis....hmm.... I guess my daily hit of cheese is causing me sinus, if it is, kill me than....I love cheese..LOL-LOL

I never had an allergy or any sinus trouble up North when I lived there. Moved to NC 15 years ago, and after 1 year I had an episode and I thought my head was going to explode. Told my friend Barb I think I need to call 911 and described how I felt and she started laughing...yup, normal sinus trouble down here for alot of folks. I thought I was having a stroke or something my head pressure was unreal....well now I keep searching for ways to change it....hmm...maybe a move back up North...nah, Tony will never go for it..LOL--born and raised a southern redneck!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You might try raw (unpasteurized) LOCAL honey, as Beekissed suggests. I know people who swear it's helped their allergies and I *think* it may help mine although hard to be certain. There is unlikely to be any downside to trying it anyhow, just like a tbsp or so every day. I mean, it's just honey :p

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK---OK---ya'll just jolted my memory about honey......a guy who raises bees said that if you eat honey made by local bees, then you are building a resistence to the allergens like pollen in the local area...or something like that!!!!! I do have local honey from them in the cubbard, but use it occasionally. NOW I am going to take a spoonful a night and start there....and yes it is raw honey...unprocessed etc.

ya know I was amazed when he decribed how honey was "processed" vs. straight from the farm..they add "sugar" to process honey sometimes...hmmm...the things we do to kill good food..LOL

THANKS ALL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
BUT if anyone can give me advice on a remedy to cure sinus trouble...I am game..LOL...I live with it down here in NC...between allergies to ragweed, mowing, etc. I have tried lots of things and not much helps...I just live thru it til I feel better.
I used to have horrible sinus infections and allergies all my life. We stopped using dairy products because #3 son was allergic, plus we started using raw honey to sweeten things, as sugar and red dye made him hyper. I really think it was the dairy...as I used to love milk and drank it constantly. I can still drink buttermilk and it has no effect on me but the rest does. I am now lactose intollerant...go figure.

No dairy and the occasional locally produced, raw honey can work wonders. My folks have been strict vegetarians for the last 15 years and they haven't had an illness or allergy since...and they are OLD! :ep They used to be real sick all the time!

ETA: I haven't had a sinus infection or cold in about 10 years now! Neither have my children! It works! :)
Beekissed you are right on the money here...All of it. Milk causes phlem bigtime...and raw honey is really good for sinus as well
By the way, you are probably not lactose intolerant...you are simply reacting to the crap they call milk in the stores. Real milk doesn't affect most ppl that way.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Real, raw milk is what you want, unless you've got your own dairy cattle, good luck getting it.

And yes, local honey is reputed to help with allergies. I don't need peer reviewed studies (which are never going to happen on this, unfortunately, there's no money in it), I'll take years of wisdom. I've got lots of people buying honey for that purpose. Nevermind that it's just plain delicious! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have sinus problems, and thick phlegm (I know, TMI, ) In the early summer I bought some local honey from where we went cherry picking. Now that you mention it, I didn't have any sinus problems all summer. Now that I am using the store bought honey, its back, as well as the thick phlegm. I think it is time to go and stock up on some local honey.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If taking a Tbs. of honey gets a little too cloying for you, we use it to sweeten our cereal (soy milk, folks). That way we aren't swallowing this big sweet gloop in one setting. Not that its all that unpleasant, but, sometimes I'd rather have it dilute! We also use it in our bread, and then again on the fresh, hot bread straight from the oven...nothing as good as warm honey on fresh wheat bread! Well....almost nothing... ;)