Moved away from Mainstream (medicine)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This being one of our early, more interesting posts, I thought I would revive it as it kind of ties into our recent threads about how staying healthy and eating healthy fits into our SS goals.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm glad you did. I missed it early on. I'll post more another time, but I'm thinking some medical issues I (and main stream doctors) had attributed to other things may be in fact due to gluten intolerance. I'm just at the beginning of looking in to this. I dread the thought of not eating gluten for an extended period of time to find out but willing to try if it means I might not need to take prescriptions.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I read "How Doctors Think" last year and the first case study in the book was a woman with gluten intolerence.....the doc who wrote the book described her many visits to many doctors who referred her to other doctors, even shrinks, and she was even told to eat lots of pasta to get her weight up! Within the first few pages, I knew what she had. It took her years to get an answer. Of course, with my digestive issues, I've been to many alternative providers, so my thinking is different.

Check out the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. It has taken me a couple of years, but I attribute my vastly improved health to three main things:

Traditionally-prepared bone broths as a very regular part of my diet, very healing to the digestive tract.

Lots of high-quality aloe juice and caplets (juice for upper GI, caplets make it to the lower GI more intact) and digestive enzymes taken daily (I've dropped the aloe now, it is more of a "medicine cabinet" item for me, used as needed, but I take the digestive enzymes once a day now, not 3x as recommended.)

And third, lactofermentation is in my daily diet to keep the flora healthy. So I try to get something into me every day, even if it is just an ounce of beet kvass (yik!) or raw sauerkraut (cabbage is baaaad for me, but in this lactofermented form, I am fine with it!) or other lactofermented items....I also lactoferment my grain products, as I have described in other posts. It is really no more work, there is just a wait time, so no last minute baking whims. I have to plan one day in advance, add whey or yogurt to the recipe, and let it sit on the counter at room temp overnight or better yet, for 24 hours.

Along with a diet high in vegetables and completely eliminating the whites and chemicals.

:old I know, I know, but I just have to tell people! I am just starting to add a small amount of raw fruit to my diet. In the last 3 decades, I have added a new food allergy or intolerance every year or two. I had none as a child. Some are very serious, some just annoying. I saw myself as eating nothing but brown rice by the time I was old, and that is no way to live! I am happy to be on a reverse path now, so I can get rather preachy. The solution was ultimately right in front of me. Toss the bullion in the trash, along with half the food in my cupboards and fridge, and treat myself to real food!

Which is really, really yummy, after all!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info! I plan on sitting and doing some reading soon, really, soon! Sigh, if I just had one day to myself!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Does anyone here grow their own herbs and use them for medicinal purposes. Make tinctures, etc. I would love some info on this from anyone who knows. I love my Dr when I need her. (Which was a lot during the last half of 2008). But I would also love to just know more about herbal remedies.

Sure wish there was someone in my area that could take me by the hand and teach me.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Thanks for the great info! I plan on sitting and doing some reading soon, really, soon! Sigh, if I just had one day to myself!
Sometimes I splurge and get a book on cd and listen in my car. Sometimes the library can order one for you through the inter-library loan if they don't have it....they usually mostly have novels in audio format, though.

"Nourishing Traditions" is worth buying for the ss types, because it has so many recipes and validations of the real food that we are producing ourselves or buying directly from the producer, like pastured poultry eggs and meat and grass-fed beef, etc. Each page has two columns, the recipe column is 2/3 of the page, and along the margins, 1/3 of the page contains quotes from books and lectures about food, nutrition, traditional preparation, and the like. It is a fascinating read, very educational. She even quotes Laura Ingalls Wilder a couple of times! I read it in bed every night and was amazed at how it kept my attention as well as the best novel......fascinating.

Lots of info on gluten intolerance, too!!!

You can get it at discounted prices....I can't actually remember where I got mine, maybe www.bam.com.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm all about inter-library loans! I also have a good friend who is gluten intolerant who has purchased some books I'm sure she will loan me. I'm really curious to see if eliminating gluten will make a difference.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I like using Western medicine for diagnosis and alternative medicine for prevention and healing. So, my doctor probably wonders why anybody ever comes to her when we never use her treatments. :rolleyes: