Moving with canned goods?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Question, I am getting ready to move to sea level coming from almost 5000' and I am concerned my canned goods will unseal during our move. I am planning on packing them in our car but am not sure they are going to transport so well...What do you all think?? I am dying to can and have been holding off but I would like to do some canning if you don't think it will be a waste of time since our move was delayed 2 months and I am missing peak season :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:pop

Waiting for others to respond, but wouldn't it be more of concern if you were going the other direction? You're moving down in elevation, so wouldn't the pressure increase on the outside as compared to the inside of the jar? I would think the seal would be more apt to break if the air pressure outside the jar reduced if you moved up?

Other than that, properly loaded in a container, they should be fine.

This feels like one of the "logic" questions that has a trick answer. :p

:pop

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Being full time RVers, we have moved back and forth twice a year from Silver City, NM -6000 ft. to Quartzsite, AZ 300 ft. or so. No problems--I am still eating pressure canned and waterbath canned foods from 09.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was going to leave the rings off because I would not know if they broke the seal then and reset in the heat possibly?? I am torn whether I would be wasting my time or not. We are traveling over a three day period and I am not sure how many mountain passes we go over and if the up and down is a problem.
I have so much canning I give away, this year I have not done any...but I don't want to waste either!
I appreciate the input you are all providing.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Snapshot confirmed my suspicions. I was guessing that if you are driving down, they would probably not change altitude fast enough to be any problem. Might not want to risk it in an airplane, but driving is a more gradual descent.

Using rings with them would be extra insurance.

I just saw you already posted again.
What kind of temps would you be driving through? You don't want the jars to freeze while traveling. If they had enough expansion room in the jar, they should still stayed sealed but it could affect quality. I don't think pickles would be very appealing after freezing and thawing.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to go ahead and can some candied jalapeno's tomorrow and take my chances! I have the bug and dehydrating is not cutting it :D
Snapshot do you leave the rings on?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just canned 35 quarts of peaches at 1200' elevation, then drove them home to 3438' elevation two days later. Some of the passes we traveled over were 5800' and 5300'.

A total of 4 jars that I was pretty sure had sealed prior to the drive unsealed on the journey (we heard them go "ping"). Not bad losses, and we've enjoyed the peaches :)

I'm with everyone else in thinking that moving to a lower elevation will increase the pressure and not cause any problems.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My family goes to my aunts farm on the coast (Sea Level) to can. And then take every thing back home which is at 1500 feet. They may travel at a higher altitude than that, but I dont know what it is. I believe they have never lost much to them unsealing. Maybe a couple over the years, but they may not have been sealed very well in the first place. They have lost more to the jars accidentally breaking due to bumps in the road. Solved that now, the put cardboard in between each jar. So they wont hit each other.