Mush

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
grits Definition
grits (grits)

plural noun

corn or other grain, soybeans, etc. ground more coarsely than for flour or meal; esp., in the South, hominy ground coarsely: grits are eaten as porridge, as a side dish, and in casseroles

****I found this on line but it truly confses me more. *****

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's porridge? :p

So, grits are ground up corn. (I think that dictionary messed up. They are definitely corn goll dangit!) ;)

If you took a few "grits" in your hands, they would be opaque white, irregular grains, bigger than table salt grains. They feel sort of rough, like sand. You boil them in water until they are tender.

The amount of water used to cook them determines their consistency. Just like you could cook oatmeal to be either very runny or one solid stiff mass (or anything in between), you can likewise cook grits to any consistency that suits you. IMO the perfect grits will not be so runny that it runs all over the plate, but easy to stir... like pudding.

'Round here in Mississippi we mostly eat grits with salt, pepper & butter. But, as previously mentioned, you can mix them with pert' near anything.

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Casandra you sound as if you are speaking from first hand expierence. I'll take that over book learning any day. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Porridge is an old term for any grain or cereal cooked in water or milk until the grains/cereals are cooked and have thickened. As an example, if you have eaten hot oatmeal or grits, you've eaten porridge.

Here is a great site for all us grits lovers!

http://www.grits.com/

Here is a recipe for fried mush -
Fried Corn Meal Mush
1 c. cold water
1 c. corn meal
3 c. boiling water
1 tsp. salt

Mix cold water and corn meal. Stir into boiling water and salt. Cook, stirring, until it boils; cover and cook over boiling water in double boiler 30 minutes or cook on slow fire, uncovered. Pack into greased metal can or mold. Cover with plastic and chill overnight or until firm. Slice 1/2 inch thick and brown in skillet.