My chickens.....my friends??? Pics of my meat friends on pg. 13

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Customers of my auto repair shop, ask me about my"pet" laying hens, and they ALWAYS ask if I have them named.

"Yup, they all have the same first name. Chicken"
They look a little dumbfounded until I explain.....
Chicken Soup
Chicken Salad
Chicken Sandwich
Chicken Cordon-Blue
Chicken Kiev
and my personal favorite, Chicken on the grill.

:D :D :D

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It takes all of us ,different strokes for different folks,to make the world go round. I do not see my chooks as food they are my friends! To each his own.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I also tell them I would put anything on a spit and grill it---even their little yappy lap dog lol that gets crazy stares lol
its always best to act a little crazy - keeps them guessing
;-)

hee hee hee i say that i'll "gut anything that isnt smiling at me" ...that sends 'em running

hee hee hee hee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made a deal with dh that we would never kill the original five Americaunas. We only have two left....or is it three? All the "pet" chickens are long gone.

People are funny. Willing to eat meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy raised in extreme cruelty but then think those of us who make the hard decision to end that on our plates are cruel.
:rolleyes:

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good friends of mine, she a vegetarian, he a carnavore have worked out their dietary differences but get lots of questions from people that don't know them well. He was asked once by a vegetarian "How can you look something in the eye and then eat it?". I thought his reply was very insightful. "How can you eat an animal you have not cared for and looked in the eye?" I eat my chickens and turkeys knowing that they have been raised as humanly as possible on good food and in a safe environment.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Like the rest of you I am all about the QUALITY of life for my animals. I am kind to them, give them the best of care and they never know fear where I am concerned. Even at the point of harvest. I am fast and humane as possible. No one can say that about commercially grown and processed meat animals.

I have NO problem with vegetarians at all. If they feel it is wrong to eat animals and don't eat them then I can really respect that. I have BIG problem with the judgmental hypocrite - the person who tells me I am "murdering" a dear little life while holding a KFC bucket in their lap.

My sister is REAL close to being a vegetarian. She can not eat any meat that has a bone in it. She is very protective about all animal life. She does eat meat and she does realize what that means, so even though it bothers her when I harvest my animals, she accepts it.

Occasionally she will say something. Like tonight I was mentioning that my hens are getting old and will need replacing this year. She understands that means the old hens will go to freezer camp as stew hens. She also knows that I WILL feel sad about it, but I will process them just the same. Tonight she said something like "Oh the poor hennies. Do you have to replace them." I told her I did need to replace them, but then I offered to give HER my spent hens to house and feed until they died. Hmm - a no go. Imagine that!

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Iam blessed to be able to keep my chooks as my pets. I buy what we want /need to eat and my chooks remain happy and well cared for and they will live their life as such until it is time for their natural death. I fail to see the humor in alot of what I see on the blog because I value their life..
Consider yourselves lucky that we are highest on the food chain or we could become a Friday night joke on the way to the stew pot.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The humor you are seeing is what is known as grim, or dark, humor. We don't like killing animals anymore than the next person...it is definitely on my list of least favorite things to do. This thread is about folks who try to make us feel bad about our choices, just as you are doing right now.

We are not laughing ruthlessly about killing a lesser animal than we...we are just a little tired of having to justify it to those who take no responsibility for their food. They like to enjoy it without the tough choice of having to personally kill it....their choice, of course, but it still irks me to have to listen to how cold-hearted I am because I have the guts to stare my food in the face before it dies.

You don't like hearing how animals have to die so that we may live? Well, flip that coin. We would prefer NOT to hear the little digs and comments about how chickens are friends and not food. I have human friends, I have chickens to provide food for my family. When they are in my care they are given a good life...and then a good death. This is right in my world. Just as your keeping your "freinds" until they die of old age is yours.

It doesn't take much on this forum anymore to offend someone. Everyone wants to be offended by something nowadays, for some reason. It's simple....don't like what you read, read something else. It's what I normally do. If you like to pick a fight everytime someone expresses an opinion, then it's likely you will be fighting on here all the time because opinions fly like flocks of birds here.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
I also tell them I would put anything on a spit and grill it---even their little yappy lap dog lol that gets crazy stares lol
its always best to act a little crazy - keeps them guessing
;-)

hee hee hee i say that i'll "gut anything that isnt smiling at me" ...that sends 'em running

hee hee hee hee
HA HA HA

OR they put on a huge smile right there and then for YOU! to be safe!
:lol:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The humor you are seeing is what is known as grim, or dark, humor. We don't like killing animals anymore than the next person...it is definitely on my list of least favorite things to do. This thread is about folks who try to make us feel bad about our choices, just as you are doing right now.

We are not laughing ruthlessly about killing a lesser animal than we...we are just a little tired of having to justify it to those who take no responsibility for their food. They like to enjoy it without the tough choice of having to personally kill it....their choice, of course, but it still irks me to have to listen to how cold-hearted I am because I have the guts to stare my food in the face before it dies.

You don't like hearing how animals have to die so that we may live? Well, flip that coin. We would prefer NOT to hear the little digs and comments about how chickens are friends and not food. I have human friends, I have chickens to provide food for my family. When they are in my care they are given a good life...and then a good death. This is right in my world. Just as your keeping your "friends" until they die of old age is yours.

It doesn't take much on this forum anymore to offend someone. Everyone wants to be offended by something nowadays, for some reason. It's simple....don't like what you read, read something else. It's what I normally do. If you like to pick a fight every time someone expresses an opinion, then it's likely you will be fighting on here all the time because opinions fly like flocks of birds here.
:bow Thank you Bee. You took the words right out of my brain. ;)