My favorite use for a pop bottle.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My favorite use for a 20 oz Coke bottle is to keep my nails inside of it.

I poke a couple of holes in the bottle for ventilation (no rusty nails here), then I make a hanger by attaching a couple of zip ties to the bottle neck.

I take off the label and I add the nails labeling the bottle with a Sharpie marker as to kind of nail size length etc. (example : 16p 2 inch galvanized common).

I then hang them on nails placed across the joists above my workbench.

I can easily see the nails. I can tell what to buy when I run low. The bottles won't break. I have an abundance of them. I can toss them into my bucket when I am working on a job without fear. The nails come out easily a few at a time.

Spiffy!

What do you do with a pop bottle?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The top part of the bottle is cut off a little down from where the shoulder slope of the pouring end of the bottle meets the cylinder body part. The part you cut off (which looks like a funnel) is reversed and put into the main part- like the funnel mouth in inside the cylinder body. Then the two parts are fastened together- for dry bait, you can staple, for wet bate, glue.)
This forms a container with the pour spout of the bottle inside the main body.
The slug bottle is used laying on it's side with a little beer or yeasty water as an attractent. The slugs crawl up the funnel and into the bootle and can't find their way out again.

The fly trap is either hung up or set on little pieces of rock or something with the funnel inside the bottle pointed up so that the flies go up into the bottle through the bottom funnel to the bait and can't find their way out either. Flies seem to be reluctant to fly downwards even if they are sitting on the funnel mouth. So the trap is put with the cut end down with enough space for the flies to get underneath it.
pour
spout
end
\

_____
/ }
\_____}

spout
reversed
in bottle
\
_____
\ }
/____}

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My grandfather used to use wide mouth jars for his garage/tool/nail storage.

he'd screw the lid of the jar to the underside of a shelf - then screw the jar on and off as needed.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My gramps used the jars too for nails.

This is how I started as well.

Have you ever dropped a glass jar full of nails? It is a mess. I am too cheap to throw out good nails so I found myself sifting through glass shards.

NEVER AGAIN!

I am much to clumsy to have glass ANYTHING. (That is one reason I cook with cast iron - I broke all my pyrex:D!)

That is how I came up with the unbreakable PLASTIC bottles. Now I can drop and slam to my hearts content!

Farmfresh

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Question about the bottles for nails...just read this to my DH and we are going to try it (I am so tired of digging through a metal coffee can trying to find the right size of nail!)

My question is, do you leave the lids on the bottle when you hange them? Might be a dumb question I guess.

Could you post a picture of what your bottles look like?

Thank you!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes I leave the lids on.

This way I can toss the bottle into my tool bucket and I am ready to roll on a project. Even if I lose a lid it is easy to replace!

I'll try for a picture today.