My favorite use for a pop bottle.

CityChook

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut in half horizontally (with the neck on one side and the bottom on the other side). If I didn't do such a great job with the scissors, then I gently melt the cut edges over the gas stove burner. The kids take these to the playground sandbox or the beach to play with... it becomes a pail with a funnel. I'm amazed at how long my kids will play with this. And if it gets forgotten or broken, no biggie.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have filled my pop bottles with water and froze them using them as ice packs. It gets very cold here in the winter and i can freeze them outside and use them in an ice house for keeping stuff cool untill almost june. The advantage to this is there is not the water you get from block ice.

Dandelion007

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My family doesn't drink much pop but the same size bottles hold water. I got pop bottle waterers for our animals. They only cost 75 cents a piece. So we have lots of little cheap watering systems now! I have found an idea that looks really nice. You make a slit in the back and slip in a stuffed toy and whatever else. Then put a big bow on top to have a interesting gift arrangement. Of course, that would work better with a larger bottle. But it could be applied to any clear plastic jug.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I take the rings off the tops of the individual pop bottles from people at work - bring them home and use them to put over a pair of socks before I wash them. No "lost" socks . .the sock pairs stay together. When I am able to use my clothes line I hang them on the line by one sock, they stay together while hanging to dry and it takes less room on the line. When I am using the dryer I just toss them in the dryer and they come out together. When they are dry, we remove the ring, put it back in the jar and fold the socks. I have not found any extra wear or tear on the socks and it sure makes the job of sock sorting, folding much easier.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Acre-I JUST saw those, they were sooo cute! I am going to make some too!

ETR-When I was a teenager, I used a 2 litre bottle to make a terrarium, it worked very well. I would assume that using the soda/water bottles for seedlings would work.

captchris- How do you keep the critters out of your icehouse? The critters here would be ALL Over it.

Monica

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My aunt uses pop bottles to make bird feeders. She paints them up and has them hanging all over the place. They are very cute and creative and something the kids can do too.

Latest posts