My favorite use for a pop bottle.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I've used them to cover seedlings, but this does not work very well outside for me. They get knocked over or too hot and I would have to lift them off to water the plants (too much work). We do start a lot of plants inside and then using clear soda bottles works allright over some of the little plants that are in individual pots.

We use them to freeze water in the summer. We can grab them to put in the cooler, when we go grocery shopping or a picnic. We also put them in the rabbit pen and the fish tank when the temperatures soar.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
If you REALLY need/want a 2L pop bottle but don't want to drink the pop.......drop some mint mentos in it and run like heck. It works best with diet coke or pepsi.

I know, I know, I'm a kid at heart, but it really is fun. Just make sure you do it outside away from anything difficult to hose off.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Used the lids as substrate for an aquarium and decorative pond. The beneficial bacteria loved the rough surface.

Had a small leak under one shingle where rain drains beside a window. I stapled part of the flat part under it and put a little caulking around it. Has worked for 2 years so far lol.

Two liter bottles I bury upside down beside the tomato plants without the lids. Drill a hole in the bottom and stick a funnel in and fill the bottle up during the hot summer here. Less time consuming and wasteful than spraying water from the hose that just runs off or evaporates too quickly.

Make whirlygigs for my mom with different shapes of bottles. Paint them to look like flowers.

Stapled the flat parts of two liter bottles on top of a doghouse for shingles overlapped. The green ones from a distance make it look like green corrugated plastic. Coincidently I used some aluminum cans as flashing around it.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
xineohpoel said:
Used the lids as substrate for an aquarium and decorative pond. The beneficial bacteria loved the rough surface.

Had a small leak under one shingle where rain drains beside a window. I stapled part of the flat part under it and put a little caulking around it. Has worked for 2 years so far lol.

Two liter bottles I bury upside down beside the tomato plants without the lids. Drill a hole in the bottom and stick a funnel in and fill the bottle up during the hot summer here. Less time consuming and wasteful than spraying water from the hose that just runs off or evaporates too quickly.

Make whirlygigs for my mom with different shapes of bottles. Paint them to look like flowers.

Stapled the flat parts of two liter bottles on top of a doghouse for shingles overlapped. The green ones from a distance make it look like green corrugated plastic. Coincidently I used some aluminum cans as flashing around it.
Like all of these- very creative...........

pconwayfarms

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
As to the seedling question, I use gallon milk jugs for mini-cloches for my broccoli and early cabbages.

I cut off only the bottom inch or so of the jug and remove the cap. This allows for ventilation and with the diffuse light of the semi-opague jug you avoid the excess heat of a clear bottle. I anchor the jugs in place by sticking a wire or branch through the jug and into the ground, leaving several inches of the stick poking up through the mouth of the jug.

If my description is unclear, I have a photo if I can get it uploaded.