My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband hates crows, but we saw a bunch chase off a hawk the other day so he's not been grumbling as much about them, lol.

Well a compost/manure heating idea won't get us too far in NH but if we move south it could be a huge help!

I think I told all of you the time I was walking the dog and a hawk came tumbling down a stand of pine trees next to us and was dead when it hit the ground. A bunch of crows attacked and killed it in mid air.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The temperature dropped to around 30 last night...lower than I thought it was going to drop....so, here I am outside with a flashlight at 3:00 am this morning checking on my seeded flats in the greenhouse. It wasn't much warmer in there, so I got an electric heater and turned it on. It brought the temperature up to about 42 after an hour and a half.

I'm not going to germinate seeds that way, and I am not going to run that heater full steam all night in that big greenhouse! I refuse to buy seeds mats...so expensive and only used for a short time. This afternoon, I am going to try and make some kind of tent over the bench where I have the flats that will let the light through during the day and help hold a bit of heat at night. I have a big roll of that clear plastic wrap that your wrap pallets with when shipping (think gigantic Saran Wrap!). If I can fashion something out of that, I will put some of those portable work lights (think aluminum dome like the chick warmer fixtures) underneath the bench to keep the flats warmer and let some warmer air pass through the bench slats into the tent.