My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear the results of the tree plantings! How long does it take to get them to transplanting size? And ... what IS transplanting size? Or do you just pot up instead of going straight into the ground?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cone-tainers are almost a necessity. Very nice...

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess you can transplant them outside at any size...mother nature grows them naturally....but most articles I have read is they stand a better chance of survival if you wait 1 - 2 years. They can grow in the cone-tainers for a year.

Yes, the cone-tainers allow the root to grow down deep rather than wrapping around a smaller container...better for the tree in the long run.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Transplanting is tough on them. When you do it, remember this in years to come, do it gingerly.....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haven't written here in a while, so I thought I would do an update....

I "lost" my Douglas, Balsam and Fraser fir seeds! I could have sworn I put them in my seed box, but they are not there! I ripped this house apart looking for them to no avail. They were in such small envelopes, the only thing I can think is they got mixed up with something and got thrown out. Looks like I have to order more.

I took advantage of some of the cooler days to finally finish putting the slate floor in. I decided not to put slate in the last 4 x 8 feet of the greenhouse. We are going to make a bin in the last section and use it to help heat the greenhouse next winter with an indoor compost pile. I have been watching YouTube Videos of people who have done this. It won't be enough to heat the greenhouse all the way to what I need, but it will help. Here's a video on it.

This Curious Gardener Series is good.
There are 16 YouTube Videos in the series.

Here's another one that is interesting. This guy composts outside and has a space cut in the wall of the greenhouse that let's the heat in.

In addition, I want to weather strip between the panels and frames to stop any heat that may be escaping and prevent cold air infiltration. I found a company that sells weather stripping in bulk...much cheaper than buying it in Home Depot, Lowes or on Amazon. (http://www.essentraspecialtytapes.com/Weather-Stripping-Gaskets) I wrote them asking them for a recommendation, and they sent me samples of each of the weather strippings.

Most likely, I will insulate the north and east walls as well with reflective insulation...haven't made up my mind about hardboard insulation or foil coated bubble wrap. I need to do a little more research on the matter. I also read a very interesting thread in another forum of folks who use solar pool covers for greenhouse insulation. It is heavy mil and supposedly will last for years...and, not too expensive.

a30f126b0073798f8500b6b8994c6eec.1000x1000.jpg

A little late, but I finally got some seeds planted in the greenhouse yesterday...10 cherry tomatoes, 10 San Marzano Tomatoes, 10 Beefsteak Tomatoes, 10 Black Beauty Egg Pants, 10 California Sweet Peppers, 20 Bantam Sweet Corn. Still have more to get planted in addition to starting my flowers.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was actually going to ask if anyone knew about compost/manure piles as a heat source. My husband is into the idea (and we have no shortage of manure). He is looking into doing it outside. I'll have to check out the videos when I have "real" internet, my phone is rebelling.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have read of some who do pretty tall compost outside & against the lower walls of greenhouse/small hoop house, to generate heat. In some southern areas, this could be enough for maintaining some established plants if not real heat loving types. A guy here in VA has a raised bed, covered walkway in center of his hoop house (with lift covers). He uses it for a worm bed, plants cool weather crops on each side -- greens, etc -- and uses the worms to help feed his chickens. This gives food for people, chickens, worms, compost, etc. One end of house in winter he has some chick grow out areas, the heat lamps for them also generate some inside warmth, plus immediate fertilizer/shavings mix for that area of house. Multi-use. LOL

My partially framed for hoop house area became a pig pen (literally!!) and this year, I plan to rework it for another use. It may become part of a chicken yard containment area. Right now I have a red tail who has decided my chickens taste toooo good!!! I'm now looking at the areas for "cover value" and limiting the "clean sweep" flight area for it. 6 hens in a month & NEVER that in 5 yrs. Occasional possum, fox loss but this is not good. Guess I will have some ghetto overhead rigs for a while........used to have some crows around, they helped, not many now. Guess they moved to cornfields instead of the local farmers cotton crops next to me.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband hates crows, but we saw a bunch chase off a hawk the other day so he's not been grumbling as much about them, lol.

Well a compost/manure heating idea won't get us too far in NH but if we move south it could be a huge help!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've often thought about trying a greenhouse with half split into some kind of animal production, chickens or rabbits for instance. Heat, fertilizer and composting. In my part of the country it would probably work well. We have very few really frozen days.

Latest posts