MY NEW HOME

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see your post. Condolences. It hurts to lose a parent. In my case I lost my mom in June of 2021 then my dad in Sept of 2021. Not a good year here all around. It is a part of life but you don't have to like it and you have to get up and keep on going. I had both knees replaced the end of Oct 2021 so still getting "my feet back under me"....literally.
I'm so sorry to hear you lost both parents so close together. Maybe we should start a grief discussion topic/forum just to connect with other members who need to reach out. I've heard that people who are grieving have a tendency to open up more to others who are also grieving. Best wishes on a speedy recovery from your knee surgery.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are alot of things that losing them has made sad. They would have been married 69 years in Nov of 2021. But it is what it is, cannot be changed, and we go forward from here. That is life.
That is very true. I didn't handle yesterday (3/20) as bad as what I thought I would. Yes, it is life but still some things take time to heal.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Afternoon everyone! Yesterday my fiance and I smoked 2 roasts. We were going to smoke sweet potatoes and a homemade veggie griller (brussel sprouts, onions, shredded carrots, squash (yellow and green) but the wind played havoc with the smoker (had a difficult time keeping it to temp) so we finished the roasts and the sweet potatoes and veggies in the oven. Does anyone else smoke meat? If so, do you have issues with keeping it to temp when it's windy and how have you resolved the issue? I do know I need new parts for my smoker so that could have been part of the issue but I think the wind was mostly the cause of it.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We smoke meat! We have a smoker in the garage and then one on the deck off the house, which is semi-enclosed so we don't have many issues with wind. DH smokes just about anything, makes a really good egg bake in the smoker
I had the same issue last year when I had it out in the yard but then towards the end of summer/ beginning of fall (Autumn) I moved it to under a pavillion (wooden structure with a roof and NO side walls) thinking the weather wouldn't be a big issue but I guess I thought wrong. I told Kevin (my fiance) that we should hang some of the black cloth up along some of the posts and see if that helps break the wind but so far he doesn't think it would work. I know when we're finally able to get our new home I want to put some type of wind break around it.

Latest posts