Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I try to stay as natural as I can with the food animals and now also with the nonfood animals, so I keep some things on hand for deworming and other parasite removal, as well as treatment of boo boos.

This morning the cats got their spring worming via ginger paste in tuna....every drop was licked clean from the bowls, so they got a good dose of the ginger.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3668217

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00436-015-4416-0?no-access=true

I don't worm on a regular basis here for any of the animals but do feed them certain things once or twice a year, usually spring and fall. Ginger, garlic, pumpkin seeds(while they eat the fermented pumpkins they consume the seeds) are some I use but hardly ever the same one twice in a row.

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/a...xima-pumpkin-seeds-carica-papaya-papaya-seeds

A few years back I read this article and liked what I read...I've never treated any dog I've owned for heartworm, nor do I worm on a regular schedule, nor do I like using the chemical flea treatments when I can avoid it. These past few years I've been avoiding it. I also don't vaccinate them for anything unless it can't be avoided(surgery/neutering/etc. when they insist on rabies vac).

http://thewholedog.org/heartworm.html

Just trying to give them a lifestyle more like their natural one, if possible, while also trying to supplement that or support that with natural remedies for parasites but without breaking the bank in all of that. Seems to be working fine as all animals have maintain great health over the years.

Fed the dogs some fresh lake trout, guts and all, this morning, so will follow that with ginger paste in their food tomorrow.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread. I do not treat my dogs for heartworm. It is not ever consistently warm enough here for it to be an issue, despite what the vets tell me.

I hate flea and tick treatments. They don't even work. I give my dogs rabies shots due to fear of authorities, they're serious about that here. But seriously how many shots do my dogs need?

What do you use for fleas/ticks?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I spread lime around the area of the yard they live in most each spring and will repeat that occasionally. I use ACV in their drinking water....don't ask me why that works but it seems to help tremendously...I've stopped doing it and seen their problem rise, and then resumed and seen it decrease. I also will dust them with sulfur dust and/or pyrethrin dust if necessary.

I also allow them to form a few good dusting spots of their own...like most animals, if given the opportunity to protect themselves, they will by dusting. I also don't ever bathe them....I used to but have changed that to never. When I used to bathe the dogs, they would eventually start having a sour doggy odor and need bathed again...and then again and that never ends. I have found they stay fresher smelling when they are allowed to be more natural in their living habits, living out in all elements, taking dust and snow baths of their own and keeping their natural oils intact.

I'll brush them as often as I can to distribute their natural oils but they tend to do that very well on their own as they tussle and wrestle one another, so it's only a few seasons out of the year they need any frequent brushing. Ben hardly requires any at all, as he's a mix of three of the LGD breeds, and his coat seems to maintain itself quite well....he has less fleas than the shorter coated dog, Jake, but seems to attract more ticks for some reason.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My new holistic vet told me to put a drop of rose geranium eo on the dog's back neck before walking them to repel ticks. A drop at each end of the spine for larger dogs. NOT for cats, though.

I make a fly spray for my goats that works rather well, at least long enough for them to go out and gorge themselves before they run in to chew cuds. It is half water, half Bragg's raw organic ACV, a tablespoon of neem oil, a few drops each of lavender (for me, neem oil smells gross) and rose geranium EOs. The important feature is that the ACV spent at least two weeks in a jar stuffed with fresh catnip leaves and lemon balm leaves before straining it into jars for making this fly spray mix. I have a gallon jar on the counter now. I find that the catnip starts getting lush a couple of weeks before the mosquitoes come out in force, so I get right on this project as soon as I see the catnip. I also add a few drops of liquid soap like Dr. Bronners to emulsify the oils, and shake the bottle often while spraying.

You can buy catnip EO instead but fresh catnip is free here.

The goats needed to be trained to tolerate the spray bottle with treats. Some of them now love the smell and will try to lick it off themselves and try to grab the nozzle of the bottle. It smells great!

I keep a version of this for me for chores, it is just the catnip ACV and water without the oils, and I use it to go milk or do quick chores in the evening. This version only lasts about 20 minutes, but doesn't leave me oily if I've already had my shower. I keep a bottle on the milking stand to re-apply.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and yes, my dogs are on a fully raw diet. I get New Zealand lamb shanks by the 40+ lb box for about $3 per pound. Each successive dog had been smaller than the previous one, for this reason. The latest, Guy (pronounced en francais, ghee) is about 15 lbs at a year old. Gunnar, his not-too-distant relative, is mentioned in some of my old posts. He was my first dog and was a fabulous vermin killer, even killed rats! I'm hoping Guy has these skills. I am encouraging bug killing now, and a couple weeks ago he asked to go outside to pee in the wee hours (pun intended) and came in with something that went unnoticed in my sleepy stupor. I woke up to see a very soggy, chewed up, and very dead baby mouse on my pillow about 3 inches from my eyeballs.

Good dog! Atta boy! :love

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Dry sage rubbed into their coat repels fleas something fierce! I had a dog eat up with them and it helped regain control of her issue.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All really great info! Will be storing some of this into my all natural wheelhouse. It's nice to have alternatives. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's an interesting study on chicken mites....

Housing and dustbathing effects on northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) and chicken body lice (Menacanthus stramineus) on hens.
Martin CD1, Mullens BA.
Author information
Abstract

Hen housing (cage or cage-free) did not impact overall abundances of northern fowl mites, Ornithonyssus sylviarum (Canestrini & Fanzago) (Acari: Macronyssidae), or chicken body lice, Menacanthus stramineus (Nitzsch) (Phthiraptera: Menoponidae). Cage-free hens received a dustbox with sand plus diatomaceous earth (DE), kaolin clay or sulphur. Weekly use varied from none to 100% of hens; 73% of hens used the dustbox at least once. Ectoparasite populations on dustbathing hens (users) were compared with those on non-user cage-free and caged hens. All materials reduced ectoparasites on user hens by 80-100% after 1 week of dustbox use. Diatomaceous earth and kaolin failed to reduce ectoparasites on non-user hens, and ectoparasites on user hens recovered after dustbox removal. A sulphur dustbox eliminated mites from all hens (including non-users) within 2-4 weeks. Residual sulphur controlled mites until the end of the experiment (up to 9 weeks), even after the dustbox was removed. Louse populations on hens using the sulphur dustbox were reduced in 1-2 weeks. Residual sulphur effects were less evident in lice, but the use of a sulphur dustbox by a higher proportion of hens extended louse control to all hens. This is the first experimental study to show that bird dustbathing in naturally and widely available dust materials (particularly kaolin) can suppress ectoparasites and thus the behaviour is probably adaptive.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too, FEM! Waking up to a sight like that is not my idea of "good"...:cool:
Gonna try the Sage. Wouldn't sage oil work as well?

Latest posts