Natural childbirth any tips for the pain?

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule if I could hug you right now I would. I’ve tried so hard to be civil with that woman. If it weren’t for Joey she wouldn’t even know I was pregnant which is honestly how I wanted it. I think she gets that though, I didn’t give her the courtesy of hearing it from us. She heard it from the 13-yr old we share so it’s second hand knowledge. I didn’t think to tell Joey not to tell his mother so oops. Joey asks how I’m feeling when he comes over but I know she makes him report back so even if I feel like I’m gonna puke on his shoes I say I’m fine. He reads nuance very well for his age. He can see I’m not feeling well and tries to help but all his mother hears is I’m fine because that’s what came out of my mouth. I seriously wish I wasn’t in some quiet competition with her, losing Karrigan had me feeling the ‘well I gave him a child and you apparently cant’ was being relayed via thought.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was able to have my first 2 children without any help, but my last one was a problem. The water broke but I didn't go into labor, so they had to induce labor. That makes the contractions harder. No problem. Then I had back labor, which hurts more. That got a little harder. Then he started to go into fetal distress at every contraction unless I was contorted in a weird position that would have been uncomfortable even without labor. That's when I finally decided I needed help, and asked for a shot. The relief from some of the pain seemed to help me get down to the business of helping him get out of there; he was born a little over an hour later and everything was just fine (except for excessive bleeding when the placenta didn't separate). Anyway... every pregnancy is different, and just because she didn't need a shot for THAT delivery doesn't mean she won't need help the next time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
be grateful you live in a time and place where pain alleviation is available. All Socrates could give his female patients was willow bark tea.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your story sounds normal. Now a days people are too quick to cut. If I'd have my first child, today, with my 29 hour labor, the doctor would have gotten aggrevated and made up a reason to do a c-section.
I ripped too. And the pain was horrific. And my poor babies head was all wrong cuz of the suction forceps they were using back in the day.
But to give you some encouragement....your body is like an ole pro now. You have delivered a baby and I can almost promise you a faster, easier delivery. I won't say, you won't remember and be scared and cut up a bit, but in all truth, the 2nd baby won't hurt you to deliver as much as the 1st. And if you nurse your baby, you will have more milk. I was told that and I found it to be true.
You will probably also be a much calmer and smarter momma.
You can try and psyche yourself out and convince yourself you can do it....hopefully you have a very understanding and supportive husband. Mine sucked when it had anything to do with me suffering pains, so as hard as I tried to do it all natural, I just didn't have the support or sympathy, so I failed in that area, but I really think I could have if poor DH could have just not joked about my pains.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You shouldn't be going into labor with the fear and anxiety you have! Give yourself a break, girl! You won't get any medals or awards for suffering through a natural childbirth, and if you end up tearing and messing yourself up, it can affect you for years. Can you check out the possibility of getting a spinal? It was called a "caudal" back when I had my first. My step-daughter has had all 3 of hers c-section, and I'm pretty sure she would do it again if she would get pregnant again.(Hope not!) Do some research and find out what the newest techniques are, and take your husband's advice and assurance. As my sister who is a nurse says, "Drugs are Good!"

Arkantex

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband read your post and thought that I might have some insight for you. I too, am expecting my second. I also had a horrible first experience. But I am less than a week away from my due date, and amazingly have a calm demeanor and am just excited to meet my new son. My first thought when reading your post, was "Have you taken any birthing classes?". My second is "Is she using the same dr?" I was not really given the option of classes with my first son, and had no idea what to expect. But I have learned that knowledge truly is power and will help to ease fears. I am also using a different practitioner this time, because I truly think that the main reason I had such a bad experience the first time was because of the doctor and hospital that I had chosen. I would recommend find Bradley birth classes in your area. If you are wanting a natrual birth, which it sounds like you do and want meds to be a last option, then the Bradley method is one of the best. (bradleybirth.com) You might also look into using a doula, which is a birth support person who would be present during the labor. Doulas are trained in counterpressure methods that can help to naturally releave pain and also can help you to combat hospital staff if you need to. There are excercises that you can to to encourage your baby to turn and be in the correct postion before you go into labor. They would teach you these at the birthing classes. The main one is pelvic rocks. This one will help your baby turn into the desired "face-down" postition. I hope that some of this has encouraged you and helped to ease your fears.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You probably come to the right place.....a lot of us are nurses and have had lots of kids.
One thing I can tell you will probably give anyone trouble is to induce for no reason. The baby knows when to be born. Most people I know who could dialate properly and needed to go the c-section route, when you find out the whole story, were induced. The body is fighting against it. When you go into labor naturally, you open better.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a mother of 4. First daughter was a 28 hr nightmare! Got to the hospitle to find out my dr was out of town (with out notice) and a fresh out of school guy who spoke a little, bad english (even the nurses didn't care for him) was is his place. Instead of the normal pain meds he had them give me morphine. When my daughter was finaly born, she didn't do anything for 3 days(not even eat) cause of the morphine. I was discharged and had to leave her there and go back to see her. She went from 6 lbs 8 oz to 5 lb 4oz before she started to gain again. But at the time I was 18 and belived everything he told me (who was I to question the dr?) Second daughter was 12 hrs start to finish same with 3rd. 4th daughter was less than 5 hrs from 1st contraction!

Had my tubes tied but if I were to do it again...I would see about having it at home.

My sister has had 4 kids and has had 4 c-sections.

I even know a woman who had a c-section for no other reason than she didn't want to go threw labor. Now that is crazy!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think most of us are of similar minds on this forum, in general about most aspects of our lives, including this subject. I had 3 vaginal births and then had #4 by emergency C-section due to placenta previa, which was supposed to have been resolved and me cleared for vaginal delivery. I spent 3 years thinking I"m forever altered and can never go natural again. I'm not saying it ruined my life, but it did affect me. I was so happy to learn about V-BACs when I became pregnant for #5. Even though I'm getting old to have babies, I'm happy when I realize my body can do what its programed to do. Even if you need a little help, try not to mess yourself up for later possibilities.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had 3 babies and the most assuring advice I ever recieved was "having babies can't be all that bad-look how many people there are!" just because the first birth was difficult, it does not mean this one will be. Try to relax, your fears will make you tense. Just know you can always get a nice hypo of joy juice if it gets too rough, and calm your nerves. It might be unpleasant, but even if it is another 24 hour marathon, that is only one bad day out of many, many years of joy to enjoy your child. JMO, it is worth it.