Natural Remedies to quit smoking?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I smoked when I was a teen and quit while I was still a teen. I used mullein leaves as a substitute. I gathered the first year leaves and dried them. Then rolled my own cigarettes. It worked for me. I simply smoked a mullein cigarette, whenever I felt like having a cigarette. It took a long while though to kick the habit. And I never started up again. Although I did have a drag once in a while on my then husband's cigarette.

I tried this method, because it was recomended in an herbal book I had. Mullein is supposed to be good for asthma too.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mullein growns wild here. I used to smoke it as a child, for asthma. My grandfather swore it would help...and it did, while I was smokeing it. Of course, he said it HAD to be in a corn cob pipe. :rolleyes: I am going to try to get some and grow my own...I dont want to pick anything here, I am sure it has been sprayed more than once.
http://plant-species.suite101.com/article.cfm/mullein_verbascum_thapsus

Check out this link...

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
If it makes you quit smoking, who knows what else they could make them for. CREEEEEEEPY.

What is 'egg maker'?
"Egg Maker" is just the brand of feed I buy to supplement my girls.
Regarding what else laser tx is for, I guess it also can work to relieve a person of other cravings depending on where they aim those beams.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Thanks guys, I'll check it out for sure. Not sure if I'm ready for my 12 year old to start smokin tho. :/
I'm sure there are other applications you could use mullein in-in order to use it for asthma-- I don't get how inhaling ANY type of smoke would be good for asthma?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HOW did I miss this thread!?!
I'm in the process of quitting. I simply HAVE to make it final this time. I've quit bunches of times, once for almost a year.
What I'm doing differently this time is a form of self-hypnosis, I suppose. Every single morning, after I wake up, but before I smoke that first one, I'm writing the following in a notebook I keep beside my bed: I can do 100 jumping jacks in a row now that my lungs are clean and healthy. My children love to cuddle with me because I smell nice and fresh." Thanks free :)

I'm also doing a bit of shock therapy :p I've got a pint canning jar with several old butts in it. When I get the urge to smoke, I get up, set a timer and start taking deep breaths. If I still want one after 10 minutes, I smell the jar. :sick
Doesn't always work, but I'm slacking off the number I smoke for sure. Each pack of tobacco (I roll my own) lasts a little longer each time.

Miss_thenorth, there are plants whose smokes work similar to inhalers, by dialating the breathing passages or helping to clear phlem. Its counter-intuitive, but mullein smoke actually makes you stop coughing. Sage, I believe is another one that is recomended.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My doctor recommended cannabis for both quitting smoking and for asthma. I can't get myself to smoke the stuff though, since I don't like the high from it. I do know someone who does smoke it for asthma. He says it helps, if he smokes it when he has an attack, but it doesn't last very long. He ends up having to smoke too much to keep controlling the asthma with cannabis.

We don't have mullein growing here, but there's plenty of the other stuff ;)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't go all natural to quit. I figured I was inhaling a bunch of chemicals, so why worry about what you use to quit with??? I tryed everything, except hypnosis and laser. Thats a little out there for me. I used the patches and they worked great. Everyone complains how expensive they are, but if you are smoking, you can afford them. I done Nicoderm CQ's step down program and I didn't have any trouble. I was a hard core smoker for over 20 years and as of September 5 I have been smoke free for a year and never crave the things. They make me want to puke if I smell them. If you want to really give them up for good, you will find a way. Good luck!