Natural Remedy supply

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been researching recipes and places that sell it. I am a bit wary of buying anything like that on ebay. I think my best bet would be to make it myself then I know what I am using. My dad gets skin cancers on his ears and has to have them taken off every year. They always come back. He has probably had them removed over a dozen times now. My worry is what happens when there is not enough medical care for these things to be taken care of? I gotta be ready. I have a family to keep healthy and protect. My husband thinks we should make the black salve and add it to the cabinet. I am working on a locked cabinet for all my herbals.

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do you know it's cancer?

I have a little spot on my forearm that turns brown every spring and lasts into warm weather. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but it is usually back within a couple days. When the fall hits, it stays gone.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dads have been biopsied and treated traditionally by his GP. However they continue to come back. If it were me I would give this a try. I just have little trust in doctors and big pharma and the FDA for that matter. One big sloppy, greedy, corrupt, mess.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok so here is what I have so far ( many of these I have used already this year)

Corn silk ( this stuff is AWESOME, no more antibiotics for UTI for me WOOT)
Pine Honey ( great for sore throat and coughs)
St johns wort
red clover
green oat straw ( if you are going through hormonal changes and you get those darn internal tremors this stuff is AWESOME)
honey suckle syrup
ginger lemon cough syrup ( i had the shivers and a nasty cold, this stuff was great)
candied ginger
Plantain salve
raspberry and straw berry leaves

My elderberry did NOTHING this year so no elderberries. I have to order what I need of that which is really irritating.
I did not gather burdock root which I meant to so I have to see if that can still be done.
I also already have identified patched of yellow root and ginseng but I have to wait a month on the ginseng. Only going to harvest enough for personal use and if I find seeds I am going to snag a few and toss them in another likely area that is almost identical to where this patch is. Hoping that multiple patches will preserve my supply.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
no comfrey?

If you have any Shepherd's Purse- that stuff is awesome for a blood stopper

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Comfrey and I do not get along. Once upon a time a mom went to the garden to get some horseradish. She had planted some right beside her comfrey patch ( you can see where this is going to go). She harvested the root and took it inside and prepped some to eat with her bratwurst. It tasted a bit off but she took yet another bite of it with her brat before deciding that the horseradish was a bit off. Then came the severe stomach pains where she could barely walk. It suddenly dawned on her that she had eaten the comfrey root and not the horseradish like she thought. Her daughter ( me) had to rush her to the hospital to have her stomach pumped and recieve urgent medical care because she had poisoned herself. She had to stay at the hospital for 3 days before the doctors were confident she would be ok. He daughter had to drive 45 minutes several times a day to take care of her because she did not like ANY of the nurses. I do not do comfrey. Ever. I know its useful stuff but I am wary of it now.

I will have to check on the shepherds purse. I try very hard to treat myself and the family when possible. We are very careful about pharma. So every new little thing I find out about I search for and try to learn more.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wow, heather, how scary! I don't blame you one bit!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can understand your concerns. But many herbs are dangerous if not used properly. Heck, for that matter, even apples can kill you- if you eat the seeds.
I remember when I was a young, dewy-eyed new convert to the idea of organic foods and herbal healing, I was discussing these ideas with my doctor. He was concerned with one of the herbs I wanted to take because it was unfamiliar to him. When I said that it should be ok "because it's organic" he shot back "So is cyanide!".

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I just mentioned the corn silk in another thread. Heather, what is honeysuckle syrup for? Sore throat?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Honey suckle syrup is supposedly good for strep throat. I use it for sore throats to be honest. I made it with a bit of lemon and ginger. It tastes awesome and it does soothe the throat. It is supposed to be a treatment though for strep. If there were no docs or meds available I would give that part a shot. I am not into taking on strep though. Thankfully we have not had it in forever. I thought I did last year but it wasn't. With all my immune system builders and avoiding sick kids we seem to do pretty ok. I think we catch more stuff than we should but I also am around people who think nothing of exposing everyone else to sick kids and I am around a TON of sick kids like 5 days a week. The honeysuckle was more something new I wanted to try out AND if stuff hits the fan or disaster strikes then i feel better about caring for my family.

So I added alfalfa to my tea list. Its hung and drying now. I also have 2 HUGE bunches of peppermint for tea. I have a nervous tummy so peppermint and chamomile are must halves.