Natural Remedy supply

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use stinging nettle a lot. It's a good anti-inflammatory and also helps to relieve and prevent water retention. Actually, there's so much good stuff in nettles it would take me a page and a half to write them all down!

I had not heard about honeysuckle syrup. It sounds great, but I wonder how it would affect my husband, who is allergic to the pollen of honeysuckle, jasmine, and wisteria. Anyone know if that would be a problem?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you please post the recipe for the black salve?

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Britesea, I know one can use nettles to make rennet for bringing cheese to curds.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, nettles can make a satisfactory rennet, but it doesn't work very well for hard cheese apparently, I'm not sure why. I have the recipe in my shtf notebook though...

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've added drawing salves and castor oil to my supply off remedies. The drawing salve is awesome and fast. My son had a thorn that got deep into his foot and we could not get it out and it got infected and hard. Put on the drawing salve and a day later the sore erupted and is on its way to getting better. Love it.

NatalieWalsh

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:(Omg
Can anyone tell me how to post a question? I feel lost and I am new here. Sorry I just found this replay to post that is why I am writhing here.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The way to do that is to figure out what kind of question you want to ask. Is it a question about a Natural Remedy, a question about gardening, goats or what? Then go to the board index and find the correct forum. Click on that to enter that forum. At the top, right hand corner you'll see where it says Post New Topic. Click on that. There will be a spot to put a name to your topic, or thread is it's normally called as well as a larger box to ask your question and give any details you need to add. Hope this helps.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With flu season just around the corner, I thought this was worth sharing...

Something that I have been concerned about is the risk of "cytokine storm" in the event of a pandemic H1N1 or similar flu. With a normal flu, having a strong immune system is good; it helps you get well fast. But with the so called 'killer flu', a strong immune system can trigger something called a cytokine storm, where your own body tries so hard to combat the illness that your body goes into a kind of overload and you die. This is the cause of the most deaths in a pandemic flu.

Normally, elderberry is kind of a sovereign remedy for the flu, but in the case of a killer flu, it may produce high cytokine levels, as will Olive oil, Fish oil, Chocolate, Vitamin D, honey, and echinacea.

Best foods to take to reduce cytokine levels are: Green and Black tea, peanuts, raisins & red grapes, Resveratrol supplements, capers, fennel, kale, apples (with skins), quercetin supplements, pomegranate juice, red wine, turmeric & black pepper, raw crushed garlic, red palm oil, vitamin E & C, coconut oil, St Johns Wort, skullcap tea, cats claw, tea tree (as an steam inhalant), astragalus root and tulsi root.
I usually have at least some of the items on the second list, and if I get enough warning that a pandemic is happening, I will be using these as much as possible.

Something else I read: if you get a flu shot every year, it may give you an immunity to that particular flu but that's all. If you don't get the shot you may get the flu and be miserable, but apparently it confers immunity to other variants of the flu, including H1N1. In other words, a couple of weeks of misery might make you healthier in the long run.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just read through all the posts.... Wow what a wealth of information... I am very interested in herbal remedies partially because I havent seen a doc in more than six years. But that aside my land is covered with medicianal plants... I am also located in an area where there are lots of Native Americans. ANd people who used Native American Remedies.

ON my land I have

Yerba Santa its in the willow family adapted to desert life. The leaves are shiny on the surface but fuzzy underneath. It can be chewed, Brewed and Smoked. Depending on the form it can be used for sore throats, Asthma, flu and Rheumetitis. When you pluck one brush off the dirt (yep I will do this) pop it in your mouth and Chew it tastes like unsweetened Cepocal.

Mormon Tea Has Euphedra in it but the Strain that grows in the US has a different kind. It isnt as strong as the stuff grown in Asia. Brewed It supposed to be like coffee. in effect. There are a bunch more uses in my book but I was surprised to find out it was good for Urinary tract infections.

Yucca Not only are many parts of yucca plants edible but its roots and leaves have steroid effect useful for Arthritis and joint pain. Good for clensing kidneys and liver. Boiled and served as a tea. My Yaqui neighbor used to pick the pods and stew them up like squash for dinner. I still havent tried that.

Red Shank or Ribbon wood. Used in infusion used as a mouth wash to treat tooth ache... Tea for bowel movements or vometing. Crushed twigs mixed with oil can be used as a salve.

Desert Sage I am not sure as to the uses but I do know its good for Spiritual cleansing of your home. If you harvest it from your land you must bury tobacco at the plants base and thank it for its sacrifice. Then you wrap the leaves in bundles with red yarn or string. One bundle at a time is burned and you point to the four points of the compass in each room you want to purify.

There are a few others but My book is sixty miles away at my house. All this reminds me Now that my roommate is gone I need to restore the energy of the house....

deb