Need some help from the low carbers/LGI-ers...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just looked up Aria powder and I am sorry to break it to you....throw that in the trash yesterday if not sooner if you want to lose weight. It is 50:50 soy:whey. Soy will mess with your hormones, destroy your thyroid function, and among many horrid things it will do to your body, it will ultimately make you fat. It takes at least six months for your body to clear from the effects. You simply MUST get off this! (You did ask!!! :D ) Whey in powdered form is neurotoxic. Not something you want happening. Once you are aware of any symptoms of neurotoxins, it is very likely too late to make changes.

Try hard to get in 2 lbs of LGI veggies per day, along with the fats and proteins mentioned. You should lose the lbs easily if you avoid all processed foods....anything with an ingredient label, basically! At the very least, avoid all sugar, white flour (if it starts with the word "enriched" it is white flour) and hydrogenated fats. All seeds that are marketed as veggies, too, like peas and corn. Limit high GI veggies and good carb servings to two a day, and avoid grains.

The weight will melt of your middle, people will notice changes in your skin, and your thinking will be so clear! Enjoy!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Eat veggies meat, dairy--avoid starches, and make sure you get plenty of good fats into you. You won't have to worry about calories at all, and the lbs will melt off you. I have been potato, rice and wheat free(for the most part) for two months, and 20lbs are gone--I am not hungry if I eat on time. And it is easy to do.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make these pancakes! Just do it!
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm

Awhile back, wifezilla was talking about almond pancakes, and it put a bug in my ear. I added 1/4tsp vanilla and 1/4tsp baking powder.

Josh said they taste "fancy", and he wants to make waffles out of the batter.
That's the seal of approval, a non-low carber wants to eat it again!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Try this flax bread:

Flax Bread

2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
5 beaten eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment. If dumping focaccia style--bake for 20 mins. I used a loaf pan, and baked for 40 minutes.

eta, you can add garlic and onion powder, rosemary etc. I do one teaspoon of each.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Going grain free, including rice and corn, and low carb allowed me to drop 18 lbs. over two months. I eat protein for all three meals and only full fat dairy. Lots of fresh veggies, some fruit, but not tropical (recommendation of the naturopath). I eat almonds and sunflower seeds as snacks.
I do get tired of eggs for breakfast and have a hard time eating a lot of meat early in the morning. TG for uncured bacon! A couple of slices of bacon with homemade yogurt and berries is my favorite breakfast right now.
My naturopath recommended NO processed foods period. It's not always easy but I'm finding it's worth it. Not only is the weight gone but I feel so much better.
I've been avoiding soy for a few years now because it just makes me feel so lousy.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beans come under the "good carbs" category, so for weight loss for women, the average (everyone is unique) is two carb servings per day. A serving of cooked beans is half a cup. And not baked beans with sugar and molasses! :/

Those carb servings can really sneak up on you, so be careful. Reduce fruit to one serving a day for weight loss, again, an average. Once you reach your target weight, you can adjust according to what you can tolerate. A lot depends on the damage done by years of eating crap. Speaking from very personal experience with a diet of almost pure crap!

Now, if I am naughty and put on a few pounds (five is my limit) I can drop them REALLY fast by doing a cleanse or just staying on the straight and narrow for a couple of weeks. Bingo. Waistline is back, middle-aged and all. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
What about beans?
They can certainly be eaten, but in balance.
If they are lacto fermented, the carb ratio drops a whole lot. Even more if they are sprouted and then cooked.
I know with fruits and veges, it drops as much as 75%.
Old time preps make such a huge difference :)

We learned that if you make sprouted flour breads, the carb ratio is 74% lower as well, and when my DH eats any, he must remeber that, so will take a much lower dose of insulin.
Otherwise, he is wolfing the raisins in a hurry!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
What about beans?
Beans are extremely high carb! If you are trying to lose weight fast, avoid them. Ditto bananas, they are almost pure sugar.

Those are something added back in later once you get to weight and need to find out how many carbs you can actually handle a day without gaining back.

Milk is pretty high carb too :( When I have to drop my carbs I have to cut my milk.